When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with ID of Schwinn

-
Come on

love these posts, but enough name calling. nice bike if i had the money to negotiate i would. thanks for the pics and the history.

Hey guys

just wanted to thank you guys again for all the help initially, and to mention that I will probably put it back up on Ebay with a reserve and starting the bidding at $1.

That being said, there has been some talk about your hobby and the people that enjoy it. Let me tell you what I've experienced. A few people with multiple accounts spamming me saying this bike is a Typhoon in an attempt to get this bicycle for nothing. They'd be more believable if they knew how to spell and use proper English.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions about he bike or any advice.

Thanks

David

Just to clarify, I think you left the word out "some" people in the hobby. No matter where you go, there will always be idiots or grown adults who act like idiots, thats just the sad fact of the world we live in. I know that first hand as I live in an area where people think their bike parts are gold plated and ask prices so high that you want to take the bike part and hit them with it. There are some here who have only been collecting for a year or so and want to learn from the best, and there are others who look for any chance to exploit the hobby. Somewhere in between all that is the average Joe who finds a bike somewhere and wants to restore it to it's original glory whether it be for a close relative or for one's self, so they come here and wander the halls looking for information. With the exception of the exploiters, all are welcome, which is why I'm here.

I feel that there was a hint of arrogance in the way this whole situation was handled, and when 2 or more arrogant ego's collide, it's a wreck. I think this can be compared to a Pawn Stars episode where a customer walks in the shop with something he knows little about, they call in an expert who says it's worth a fortune only to be told that the customer either no longer wants to sell, or is asking a price out of the league. The disappointment likely turns to resentment.

Honestly, if you have what we all think you have, you would be better off setting a private auction as people who spend that amount of money on "kids toys" don't really like their names out there. Especially if it is a wealthy well known individual.

http://privateauction.com/

Good luck! I'll be watching.

Just to clarify, I think you left the word out "some" people in the hobby. No matter where you go, there will always be idiots or grown adults who act like idiots, thats just the sad fact of the world we live in. I know that first hand as I live in an area where people think their bike parts are gold plated and ask prices so high that you want to take the bike part and hit them with it. There are some here who have only been collecting for a year or so and want to learn from the best, and there are others who look for any chance to exploit the hobby. Somewhere in between all that is the average Joe who finds a bike somewhere and wants to restore it to it's original glory whether it be for a close relative or for one's self, so they come here and wander the halls looking for information. With the exception of the exploiters, all are welcome, which is why I'm here.

I feel that there was a hint of arrogance in the way this whole situation was handled, and when 2 or more arrogant ego's collide, it's a wreck. I think this can be compared to a Pawn Stars episode where a customer walks in the shop with something he knows little about, they call in an expert who says it's worth a fortune only to be told that the customer either no longer wants to sell, or is asking a price out of the league. The disappointment likely turns to resentment.

Honestly, if you have what we all think you have, you would be better off setting a private auction as people who spend that amount of money on "kids toys" don't really like their names out there. Especially if it is a wealthy well known individual.

http://privateauction.com/

Good luck! I'll be watching.

I appreciate your thoughts and by no means was I attempting to paint everyone involved in this hobby as the "typhoon" guy.

I've received a mix bag before, during, and after the auction. Ranging from you're an idiot to I can't believe it didn't sell. I think it might be a little of both and some people are getting their jollies poking me.

As far as the arrogance, part of that was excitement after some very generous offers, part of that was inexperience and part of that was not wanting to appear as an easy mark.

David

Last edited:
Very well said Dave, I now understand your stance and I can't say I wouldn't have been the same way given the circumstances. Keep us posted on the bike's progress.

Back