When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with ID of Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Last pic

2011-08-04_15-11-06_973.gif

comment

This is what happens when folks chime in on value without being in pursuit of the bicycle in question, money still in their pockets...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1963-Schwi...886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbaba4366

Rather than the market determining price, some seller gets the inflated idea their bike is worth more than it is and expectations are unreal.
It's a free speech country, but please be conscious that everyone here would like to get a particular coveted bike at a reasonable price...and I have ZERO interest in this kiddie bike, just saying.

Personally, I would be out of this hobby if I had to pay exhorbitant prices for everything and there was no dream of a "diamond in the rough."

Chris

Hey

thanks for your honesty. It was quite refreshing. There's nothing like reading the words of a blowhard that has no idea how many inquiries I've received or how many "experts" I've discussed this bicycle with. Furthermore, after checking ebay completed auctions, I saw nothing like this bicycle sold. Nothing. Year, condition were unmatched. Which brings me to my experience selling things on Ebay, I have none. I did see a Stingray sold for $1800. This bicycle is very very rare, according to my research. It is a piece of history. That's not bs, that's a fact. And not a soul is forcing you click on this thread or to point out a link to Ebay that I've already put in the other forum for buying and selling.

You should have just set a reserve price and start the auction at $1, that will give you an idea of what the market is for this bike and what people are willing to pay. I find it interesting though that the guy who asked a question said his production logs pegged the bike as a converted typhoon. It does not appear to me from what I can see that it was converted. All the parts seem to have identical shades, and for someone to strip 2 of those bikes to make 1 is ridiculous. It would be hard (but not impossible) to find those stingray parts "in that color" to put on that clean alleged typhoon frame. What kind of tire is on the back?

Nice bike by the way, but for 5 grand, I would buy a 1987 Monte Carlo with hydraulics - er, I mean... a whizzer. ;)

You should have just set a reserve price and start the auction at $1, that will give you an idea of what the market is for this bike and what people are willing to pay. I find it interesting though that the guy who asked a question said his production logs pegged the bike as a converted typhoon. It does not appear to me from what I can see that it was converted. All the parts seem to have identical shades, and for someone to strip 2 of those bikes to make 1 is ridiculous. It would be hard (but not impossible) to find those stingray parts "in that color" to put on that clean alleged typhoon frame. What kind of tire is on the back?

Nice bike by the way, but for 5 grand, I would buy a 1987 Monte Carlo with hydraulics - er, I mean... a whizzer. ;)

The Typhoon didn't come in Radiant Coppertone for '63. The paint on this bike appears to be original.

Pat

Last edited:
The Typhoon didn't come in Radiant Coppertone in '63. The paint on this bike appears to be original.

Pat

But did you see the question the guy asked at the bottom of the auction. He says that schwinn produced 5200 coppertone heavy duty typhoon's in May of 63. I'm not contradicting you as I don't know much about stingrays or schwinn production statistics, I'm just saying what he said. :)

But did you see the question the guy asked at the bottom of the auction. He says that schwinn produced 5200 coppertone heavy duty typhoon's in May of 63. I'm not contradicting you as I don't know much about stingrays or schwinn production statistics, I'm just saying what he said. :)

I'd like to see his info. I've never seen any such production numbers or a Coppertone '63 typhoon. I doubt anybody has,he sounds like just another spoiler. Let's see what the auction brings,that's the best way to gauge the market.

pat

Don't book your tropical cruise yet...

I am glad you found my honesty refreshing...you know what's not refreshing?
Folks finding a old bicycle, discovering the CABE, and exploiting the knowledge from members on this forum to get the last dollar.

I bought a Elgin Blackhawk from a new member here a few weeks ago among numerous other offers to buy it. He chose mine being the most sincere, and actually took less from me than other offers. Ahhh, that's a refreshing "piece of history!"

The point of my post was not to say "look everyone what this guy is doing," but to make a statement to the fraternity of bicycle collectors here that noting value is counterproductive unless a deal is being made as it puts interested potential buyers in a real disadvantage if not, swelling a head as yours.

I was not saying "let's take your aunt to the cleaners," I was saying (and this point is pretty clear), let the market determine value...no taking your aunt in that.
What isn't cool is thinking your bicycle is over 3 times your reference find on ebay.
In fact, each sale on ebay has an entirely different set of circumstances and it always come down to what someone will pay, period.
If you think rareity is the only thing determining price, then I can trade you my left shoe for your bike. I guarantee you there is not another left shoe like the one I am wearing, and yes, it carries its own unique story (pics on request).

If your bike sells for 5K I will apologize to you and your panel of experts.
Short of that, your selling strategy is what I resent in the hobby and if I change the course of someone offering uninterested value in a bicycle here, then I would consider that a success regardless of where you bicycle lands.

Chris the blowhard

Back