When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

suspect the Campag Valentino front mech may be the only, or one of the very few, original fittings

even the headset has been replaced; usually the last component changed

-----

Last edited:
-----

suspect only original fitting may be the Campag Valentino front mech

even the headset has been replaced; usually the last component changed

-----
Given that if the Valentino FR is OE, it still makes it late 60s at the earliest ('67?). I have been trying to decipher the numbers cast on the "matchbox" to determine any date identifier, but still no luck. I think I have some without any markings. I need to verify the mark (if any) on my '71/'72 Crescent. I have not really bought bikes with those derailleurs; just received a bunch as freebies from my Italian suppliers which I assume were primarily from the 70s.

-----

wrt Campag Valentino -

visited Chuck Schmidt's Timeline di Tullio yesterday to check on another item and discovered he lists the Valentino front and rear mechs as launching in 1964

-----

-----

wrt Campag Valentino -

visited Chuck Schmidt's Timeline di Tullio yesterday to check on another item and discovered he lists the Valentino front and rear mechs as launching in 1964

-----
Good to know if true. I have referenced Chuck's timeline before and although I cannot refute it; no specific references are provided per each statement. One would think that Campy would have issued another catalog; but there may be sales brochures that were published in the interim between catalogs that can account for the statement, and I have no problem trusting Chuck's knowledge. I figured circa '66 or maybe '65 at earliest since it was in '67 catalog. No idea if Valentino FD was introduced prior, but even if it was introduced circa 1964; when was it commercially available to builders and shops? Also, was the practice of Campy just renaming parts without any real changes in effect at this time. We all know that the Valentino front mech was nearly the same (maybe was the same at that time?) as the original Gran Sport unit of the same time frame. Another Campy mystery for the books.
I have no bikes (frames are long gone, but I still have some parts from them) where a Valentino FD was installed as OE during the time period of 1960-65; all had "Record" or "Gran Sport" FDs with either "Record" or "Gran Sport" rear mechs.
I certainly cannot dispute a possibility of that frame being from early to late 60s regardless, unless there is provenance as to the components being original.
Still, a cool bike that should make for a great ride.

Last edited:
Juvela is king with this stuff so this is no way an ID but and he probably recalls a cleanup/restore I once did. An early 60s Olmo I beleive had these lugs.

Back