When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Mead frame builder

-

island schwinn

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have this Mead frame which was probably a 28" wheeled bike. Trying to nail down the builder. Serial number is V8---. Hope someone can help, then it will be for sale. No price in mind at this point,just trying to identify it properly, thanks all.
20200428_082913.jpg

20200428_082858.jpg

20200428_082814.jpg

20200428_082744.jpg

20200428_082730.jpg

20200428_082713.jpg

This frame and fork is most likely a Snyder-built Hawthorne in a 28" wheel size. Fork design and frame volcano joints at the BB suggest Snyder not Mead. The tape holding the head badge on tells me that most likely it was not original with the frame...Nice project nonetheless.. Picture of serial number?

This frame and fork is most likely a Snyder-built Hawthorne in a 28" wheel size. Fork design and frame volcano joints at the BB suggest Snyder not Mead. The tape holding the head badge on tells me that most likely it was not original with the frame...Nice project nonetheless.. Picture of serial number?
The person I got it from taped the badge on because he said one of the screws or rivets was broken in the frame. Upon further inspection,I can see that the Mead badge holes don't line up. I'll post up a pic of the serial number later today. Once I identify the maker,it will be for sale. Probably just the frame and fork anyway. Thanks for the info.

OK, I guess it's a Snyder. Pic of serial number added. V7886. Any suggestions on a fair sale price? Not looking to retire from one frame sale.
20200430_080307.jpg

Yes picture #3 posted is Snyder.

Have not determined its origin; i.e., when did the feature begin; was it a derivative of somebody else’s ider, (e.g., Excelsior’s truss tube joints). When was it first seen. What is the earliest bike that it is seen on. Was it a bottom bracket patent (pre-stamping bosses in a flat bar, before bending into a cylindrical shape and welding-up the seam.

If “X” is 1936; perhaps “V” might be 1934 Snyder Rollfast New York (can’t see clearly without my 17” wide flat screens).

That is the system that I based my 1935-W.

Fork may have more firm of a range in pricing; a 28” frame might be less common than 26”. Frames have more significant shipping costs. Frames less forks are like a transfer of a problem project.

Last edited:
Yes picture #3 posted is Snyder.

Have not determined its origin; i.e., when did the feature begin; was it a derivative of somebody else’s ider, (e.g., Excelsior’s truss tube joints). When was it first seen. What is the earliest bike that it is seen on. Was it a bottom bracket patent (pre-stamping bosses in a flat bar, before bending into a cylindrical shape and welding-up the seam.

If “X” is 1936; perhaps “V” might be 1934 Snyder Rollfast New York (can’t see clearly without my 17” wide flat screens).

That is the system that I based my 1935-W.

Fork may have more firm of a range in pricing; a 28” frame might be less common than 26”. Frames have more significant shipping costs. Frames less forks are like a transfer of a problem project.
Thanks all for the enlightenment. I posted it up on Facebook for 300 shipped and we'll see what happens.

Back