When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Model and Year Montgomery Ward Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up this Hawthorne from FB marketplace for $30 last night and though it's crusty I just love the look! Been researching this on various threads here but can't seem to come up with a year. I believe it's Rollfast made but really don't see any serial numbers. Interested in knowing the appropriate year and model. Thanks!

20221129_211649.jpg

20221129_212231.jpg

20221129_211953.jpg

20221130_195550.jpg

20221130_195622.jpg

20221130_195631.jpg

20221130_195456.jpg

20221130_195444.jpg

20221130_195344.jpg

20221130_195321.jpg

The yoke arrangement about the seat post cluster indicates a middleweight design from the later part of the 1950’s.

About that time, Snyder started to stamp the serial numbers on the left rear fork ends.
On older middleweights, continued to stamp a date-place code (fairly lightly) on the bottom bracket crank hanger.
Later, Snyder Enterprises would stamp a circle-SE above the serial numbers.

Snyder was a bicycle manufacturer who sold them to DP Harris a wholesaler of Rollfast bicycles, and to Montgomery Ward a catalog sales company with department stores, (amongst others).

The front forks might be straightened.
A good deal, as some might pay the same amount just for pieces of the springer forks hardware.

Last edited:
The yoke arrangement about the seat post cluster indicates a middleweight design from the later part of the 1950’s.

About that time, Snyder started to stamp the serial numbers on the left rear fork ends.
On older middleweights, continued to stamp a date-place code (fairly lightly) on the bottom bracket crank hanger.
Later, Snyder Enterprises would stamp a circle-SE above the serial numbers.

Snyder was a bicycle manufacturer who sold them to DP Harris a wholesaler of Rollfast bicycles, and to Montgomery Ward a catalog sales company, (amongst others).

The front forks might be straightened.
A good deal, as some might pay the same amount just for pieces of the springer forks hardware.
Thank you for the great information as always! Are you thinking there may be a serial number but it is possibly just light and covered by the paint?

About the time that Snyder started stamping the circle-SE, the date-place stamps on the bottom bracket, (such as 65SN for 1956), appear to have been discontinued.

Post-war bicycle serial numbers were prefixed with an alphabet letter, perhaps indicating the year, with some (minor?) inconsistencies.

If the serial numbers are not on the left rear fork end, older bikes were stamped on the seat tube.

Snyder built bikes were reverse year dated through '58. In '59, the serial # moved to the brake arm side rear dropout, and started with A for that year. They continued alphabetically into 1969, when they returned to A again. This bike looks to be from the later '50s, as it has four connected holes in the rear dropouts, early to mid '50s only had the outer two holes.

Snyder built bikes were reverse year dated through '58. In '59, the serial # moved to the brake arm side rear dropout, and started with A for that year. They continued alphabetically into 1969, when they returned to A again. This bike looks to be from the later '50s, as it has four connected holes in the rear dropouts, early to mid '50s only had the outer two holes.
Ok cool, thank you for the information. I located the serial number...would this be 1961?

20221203_213317.jpg

Actually when I was posting the picture I see there is a B at the start of the number

Actually when I was posting the picture I see there is a B at the start of the number
If there's also an SE in a circle there, I'd say '60. Without that, could be mid '50s, and maybe the reverse year stamp is too faint to see. You might try to sand it lightly.

Back