When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with my rusty rims!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have been using brillo soap pads for years on chrome wheels.Get the garden hose and keep the wheel wet.Trust me it works great

IMG_2877.JPG
I
IMG_2878.JPG
I put aside the old crusty rims and found a nice set of Felt rims. They are fatter and I like the look. You always have the old ones. Just another option.

View attachment 378100 View attachment 378099 Hello all:
Being a newbie and needing direction, this website has been a big help to me. I am in the process of cleaning up my '48 Monark, and it's going great. I found the thread "patina vs. rust" particularly helpful. I am using the WD40/Steel wool/wax method, and have retained and preserved about 75% of the original paint and pinstripes. Thanks to those who contributed to those threads, you helped save a survivor in the hands of a novice! I will post pictures when I am finished.

While the project is going well, I am at a loss as to how the treat the rims. They are badly rusted, and I test-cleaned a spot to see how it would look. There is almost total loss of chrome on some areas. Otherwise the rims are OK, there is no damage, other than I have to replace two spokes.

I am not sure if these are the original rims from a '48 Monark, perhaps some of you out there would know.

I am at a loss as to what to do? This is a nice original bike, and I want to do the right thing. If I replace them, they will not look consistant with the rest of the bike. I thought of painting them, but am not happy about that idea either since the rear wheel has quite a bit of chrome left (not pictured). Clean up and wax/or clear coat? I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks for reading!
I was given a bicycle the other day and I saw it's rims and instantly dreaded trying to remove the rust .. I live on northwest coast and this bike has been outside for years . Best of luck!!
1226170318.jpg
1226170329a.jpg
1226170322.jpg

Back