When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with my rusty rims!

-

Monark Owner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello all:
Being a newbie and needing direction, this website has been a big help to me. I am in the process of cleaning up my '48 Monark, and it's going great. I found the thread "patina vs. rust" particularly helpful. I am using the WD40/Steel wool/wax method, and have retained and preserved about 75% of the original paint and pinstripes. Thanks to those who contributed to those threads, you helped save a survivor in the hands of a novice! I will post pictures when I am finished.

While the project is going well, I am at a loss as to how the treat the rims. They are badly rusted, and I test-cleaned a spot to see how it would look. There is almost total loss of chrome on some areas. Otherwise the rims are OK, there is no damage, other than I have to replace two spokes.

I am not sure if these are the original rims from a '48 Monark, perhaps some of you out there would know.

I am at a loss as to what to do? This is a nice original bike, and I want to do the right thing. If I replace them, they will not look consistant with the rest of the bike. I thought of painting them, but am not happy about that idea either since the rear wheel has quite a bit of chrome left (not pictured). Clean up and wax/or clear coat? I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks for reading!

Clear coat will look bad. Once the chrome is gone and that rust is in deep the dark pitted areas are hard to make nice.
Usually the upper 2/3 of a rusty rim that has been setting for years in one position can be made to look pretty decent using some of the wire wheel cleaners[ like Crosave pictured. this stuff is brutal. but fast with amazing results ] but the lower third that has the most severe deep rust will never turn out as nice as the rest of the rim. Look through the restoration threads to view your options .
I personally would go to a swap and find better wheels then messing with those. I am not talking new rims. Just better than those. $50 should do it.
001.JPG

Thanks guys. I guess they are beyond help. I will see if someone on here might be selling replacements. Thanks again!

I'd install matching spokes as needed and use the original wheels.
That was my first choice. But how do I protect the black areas from re-rusting? I am waxing the rest of the bike with carnuba to protect the metal, but I don't think it's sufficient to protect the rims? Also, this bike will not be a daily rider, and will be kept in a dry and controlled environment.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I am happy to hear that the wax is effective, because that is what I am using on the bike after cleaning the surface rust. Actually, the dark areas of the rim wax up quite nicely once they are smoothed and burnished. I have been using "Quick Glo", and it works really well. If the wax is sufficient on the rim, then I would rather go that way than replace the rims.

Back