When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with old bicycle. Unable to find out what model, year and brand.

-

Jonathan Armstrong

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I'll make this simple and go straight to the point. I have a bicycle that I pulled out of a shed and I absolutely love it. The only problem is that I have been curious on what year it is but I haven't been able to find matching photographs or proper information upon this bicycle. I'm hoping that since a similar issue with another bicycle that was missing it's head-badge was on here at one point, I could find some assistance as well. From my research my best guess is that it's a RollFast but I am not certain.

Note: there is the faint remnant of a symbol of a shield surrounding a gear under the paint in this image. ^^^

I don't know if these images will help. Please tell me what you might think or know.

Last edited:
I'll make this simple and go straight to the point. I have a bicycle that I pulled out of a shed and I absolutely love it. The only problem is that I have been curious on what year it is but I haven't been able to find matching photographs or proper information upon this bicycle. I hoping that since a similar issue with another bicycle that was missing it's head-badge was on here at one point, I could find some assistance as well. From my research my best guess is that it's a RollFast but I am not certain.
View attachment 1262877

View attachment 1262877

View attachment 1262878

View attachment 1262884
Note: Sorry for this one being upside-down. I have only very recently gotten a smartphone and I am getting used to the camera.
View attachment 1262888

View attachment 1262889

View attachment 1262890

View attachment 1262891
View attachment 1262892

I am unsure if any of these images will be of any use. In the last one you can faintly see the symbol of a gear encased in a shield.

View attachment 1262870

View attachment 1262871

View attachment 1262872

View attachment 1262873

View attachment 1262874

View attachment 1262875

View attachment 1262876

View attachment 1262879

View attachment 1262880

View attachment 1262882

View attachment 1262883

View attachment 1262885

View attachment 1262886

View attachment 1262887
Welcome, but the pictures didn't show.......

Welcome. I can help a little. It's post war, by the rear dropouts facing forward (where rear axle slides out). Probably late forties and I think, but not sure that is a Hawthorne ( or Rollfast ) chain ring (front sprocket) like you think. So maybe a 40's to early fifties Hawthorne ? We'll see if I'm close when the experts chime in. Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Welcome. I can help a little. It's post war, by the rear dropouts facing forward (where rear axle slides out). Probably late forties and I think, but not sure that is a Hawthorne ( or Rollfast ) chain ring (front sprocket) like you think. So maybe a 40's to early fifties Hawthorne ? We'll see if I'm close when the experts chime in. Have fun, that's what it's all about.
Thanks, I was guessing RollFast based on research involving the symbol on the support bar that the seat is attached to and the screw holes for the badge being on either side of the front tube that the steering parts attach to instead of on top of and on bottom of where the badge would be. It would make sense that it would be a different company possibly since all the pictures and advertisements I've seen for RollFast bicycles have a 3 piece front fork instead of a single piece front fork.

Thanks, I was guessing RollFast based on research involving the symbol on the support bar that the seat is attached to and the screw holes for the badge being on either side of the front tube that the steering parts attach to instead of on top of and on bottom of where the badge would be. It would make sense that it would be a different company possibly since all the pictures and advertisements I've seen for RollFast bicycles have a 3 piece front fork instead of a single piece front fork.
Sounds like you've done your homework. Now that you mention it Hawthorne had three piece fork postwar as well as prewar. Hawthorne is of course Wards brand made by Rollfast. The welds don't look oversize, so not Manton Smith. I guess that's the fun trying to figure out a bike. I've spent hours on here researching and that's what's so great about this sight. Good luck. Someone will know or you'll stumble across it.

Looks like a Dayton Huffman
I'm looking into that suggestion, the only issue so far is that Dayton Huffman appear to have badges that attach at the top and bottom instead of the sides. I'll look into this further to see if I can locate something that matches. EDIT: Not sure if this has any relevance but I am looking at Dayton Huffman bicycles as well and so far I don't see matching chain guards, notice the lines on the guard go around the curve instead of fighting against it.

Frame is a Snyder streamlined motorbike, but the rest may be mixed parts. For a post war Snyder there should be a alpha numerical serial number on the seat post mast, about 6” below the seat post clamp. Started with an “A” in 1945.
The 4-digits stamped on the bottom bracket, look like an odd font style and may or may not be the serial number(?).
Snyder bikes often have a date-place code on the bottom, such as 15SN - say for 1951 Little Falls NY.
The decal shows the D.P. Harris (Rollfast) chain ring sprocket, pattern with the 6 “H” letters.

Last edited:
Frame is a Snyder streamlined motorbike, but the rest may be mixed parts. For a post war Snyder there should be a alpha numerical serial number on the seat post mast, about 6” below the seat post clamp. Started with an “A” in 1945.
The 4-digits stamped on the bottom bracket, look like an odd font style and may or may not be the serial number(?).
Snyder bikes often have a date-place code on the bottom, such as 15SN - say for 1951 Little Falls NY.
The decal shows the D.P. Harris (Rollfast) chain ring sprocket, pattern with the 6 “H” letters.
So what you are saying might be confirming some suspicions I've had where this might be a franken-bike of parts. I had a feeling when the front forks didn't match the rest of the bike and certain things weren't lining up with research.

Back