When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with rear wheel (coaster brake)

-

vw_guy

Look Ma, No Hands!
This is probably a dumb question for the more experianced guys.. but I've never rebuilt or disassembled a coaster brake bike. The problem is that the wheel was tightened about right. Once I reinstalled it to the bike, the whole wheel and tire was offset to the left side of the bike (away from the chain). I disassembled, cleaned and regreased the brake mechanism and I am 99% I got that right. The bolts aren't torqued and the wheel barely spins. It seems to be binding up even after the metal bar that stabilizes the brake to arm is secure. What am I doing wrong with the wheel mounting portion?

20190604_173719.jpg

20190604_173725.jpg

20190604_173732.jpg

Looks to me like the non drive side isn't seated all the way in. That is REAL easy to do on those types of coaster brake hubs if the brake disks aren't all lined up correctly then the hub doesn't seat all the way in and the bearing on that side doesn't even seat. I would recheck that the disks are all lined up.

At first glance I thought that was N/D hub. I now see that it is a marrow. And That is about the ONLY hub I have never overhauled. Does it have a slotted hub that the compression plates fit into, or does it use expander brake shoes? If it uses the same type of brake set up as a New Departure, then what I said before still stands. The other thing to look for is, it is sometimes real easy to get your bearing retainers in upside down, and that can cause all kinds of issues as well.

Awesome I will check those things.. the bearing on the non drive side seems to contact the hub and not allow it to seat fully in any particular way, which I thought was strange. The internal brake mechanism is a circular peice that on the non drive end, has to half moon peices of metal and a circular peice in the middle. They come apart when the mechanism is removed.

Also, when I re greased the assembly I tested it in hand, and I definitely had it right.

Thanks for all the great info. I'll have to double check all this when I get home from work. The one thing that jumps to memory is that the non drive side outer cover. Seems to move around on the wheel hub, as if the bearing isnt seated. Do the ball bearings face outward or inward on the drive side?

Back