When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with shipping Black Phantom

-
another option, would be, find a caber in the Philly area, who has experience shipping bikes and enlist their help on getting it to you.

Someone with experience in this is always a plus.

I have received bikes that have been packed with care, and I have received them that have been packed with air.

Care is better, reduces the risk of damage.

Finally, no matter how well they are packed, there is always a risk of damage in transit. Even if you drive it across country yourself.

Great advice above. Bike shops these days are used to road bikes and mountain bikes. Take off the front wheel, turn the bars sideways and call it good. Vintage bikes need better care for shipping. If your Phantom is in good shape go the extra mile. Make sure nothing is metal on metal and has sufficient padding/protection. I’d recommend Fedex over Ups. Good luck! Post a pic of your phantom if you get a chance. We do love pics.

Thanks for all the input, wholly cow my brain is going to explode. My cousin wrapped it in bubble wrapped taped it really well, took off handle bars, and is usually a freak to make sure things get done right. He went and picked up a large box and is looking at Uship and shipbikes.com.

Thanks for all the input, wholly cow my brain is going to explode. My cousin wrapped it in bubble wrapped taped it really well, took off handle bars, and is usually a freak to make sure things get done right. He went and picked up a large box and is looking at Uship and shipbikes.com.

amtrak
i've shipped and rec'd many bikes in SD with them
safest way imo:
call station(s) nearby to confirm they accept bikes and have a box for you, or if already boxed ask if they'll take it that way
remove pedals, saddle, handlebars, and package them in a small box or wrap in bubble
take bike to amtrak
roll bike into box, put the parts in, tape up
near zero handling, loaded onto train, unloaded, you pick up
improper packaging aside, damage occurs during handling by shippers, fedex (shipbikes) and ups have many handling points often with long drops.

Last edited:
amtrak
i've shipped and rec'd many bikes in SD with them
safest way imo:
call station(s) nearby to confirm they accept bikes and have a box for you, or if already boxed ask if they'll take it that way
remove pedals, saddle, handlebars, and package them in a small box or wrap in bubble
take bike to amtrak
roll bike into box, put the parts in, tape up
near zero handling, loaded onto train, unloaded, you pick up
improper packaging aside, damage occurs in handling during shippers, fedex (shipbikes) and ups have many handling points often with long drops.
Cousin got a box from the bike shipping company especially for Phantoms. My cousin is a freak so I know it's going to be packed right. He's like you'll be able to drop it out of C-130 when I'm done. I'll update everyone next week.

It's certainly doable for a first-timer, but it's important to pad all sheet metal parts carefully, and to fully inner-box or wrap hard parts (e.g., pedals, stem, etc.) so that they do not become battering rams inside the box. The perimeter should be fully padded, that is to say - no bike parts in direct contact with the outer surface of the box. Make sure there is padding all around the edges. Make sure the front and/or rear forks are supported so that they do not get bent or collapsed in if the box ends up on its side.

The thing some people forget is that you don't just disassemble and pack, you want to take the individual assemblies that you take off the bike, and then fully wrap those or put them in their own little boxes that then go inside the main box. I've had people come to me with damaged bikes in the past, where someone just took off the pedals and dropped them into the box loose. They turn into battering rams inside the box once things start to shake about en-route. If you're lucky they sift to the bottom and stay down there. If you're unlucky they beat the hell out of everything on the way down during the ride.

It's certainly doable for a first-timer, but it's important to pad all sheet metal parts carefully, and to fully inner-box or wrap hard parts (e.g., pedals, stem, etc.) so that they do not become battering rams inside the box. The perimeter should be fully padded, that is to say - no bike parts in direct contact with the outer surface of the box. Make sure there is padding all around the edges. Make sure the front and/or rear forks are supported so that they do not get bent or collapsed in if the box ends up on its side.

The thing some people forget is that you don't just disassemble and pack, you want to take the individual assemblies that you take off the bike, and then fully wrap those or put them in their own little boxes that then go inside the main box. I've had people come to me with damaged bikes in the past, where someone just took off the pedals and dropped them into the box loose. They turn into battering rams inside the box once things start to shake about en-route. If you're lucky they sift to the bottom and stay down there. If you're unlucky they beat the hell out of everything on the way down during the ride.
I'll find out in a few days, he said he took the handle bars off and the front wheel, he totally wrapped every part in bubble wrap, honestly I'm not going to stress over it , it is what it is. Good advice going forward if I decide to do this again.

Back