When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Springer fork

-

Norrin

Look Ma, No Hands!
I need some help from the experts on this one. I have zero experience with springer forks and I need to know if I can take this thing apart so I can paint it. Can the spring be removed and put back in without a press or compressing things? Also, does anyone have any idea about what year it's from? Or any recommendation where I can look to get an idea of the year?

Thank you for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it.

fork 1.jpg

fork 2.jpg

fork 3.jpg

fork 4.jpg

fork 5.jpg

fork 6.jpg

fork 7.jpg

You dont need to compress anything, no special tools. Just simple mechanical skills. Its non locking so probably 53-55 ish

I need some help from the experts on this one. I have zero experience with springer forks and I need to know if I can take this thing apart so I can paint it. Can the spring be removed and put back in without a press or compressing things? Also, does anyone have any idea about what year it's from? Or any recommendation where I can look to get an idea of the year?

Thank you for any help you can provide, I really appreciate it.

View attachment 1747348

View attachment 1747349

View attachment 1747350

View attachment 1747351

View attachment 1747352

View attachment 1747353

View attachment 1747354
The hardest part is the coupling that holds the spring to the yoke. Often it gets left in place, it is tricky to get apart and back together.

Does the drilled hole for the axle in the right springer leg help date it? I know later ones have two open slots/drop outs.

The steartube on a postwar is 7” long. The steertube on a prewar is 6 1/2” long. Only the early postwar springer and prewar springer will have the smaller rods. Use the search on here because there’s a ton of information about the Schwinn springers on here

My prewar has the same style ends on the fork legs as yours so measure the length of your steer tube and that’ll tell ya weather it’s prewar or not assuming nothing was changed. Judging by the looks of the paint it appears as though nothing was changed.

The steertube is 7" so it is post war according to all of you. I managed to get the frame the fork was on before I got it and the frame dates to 10/25/1951. I don't know if it was original to the frame but some of the dark green on the steertube matches so I'm going to say it was original. Looks like this is a 1951 fork and all of your comments seem to support that. Thank you so much for all the help.

Back