When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with what kind of bike? Western Flyer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cpshockl

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I’m brand new to this forum and would appreciate any help I can get working on this bike. I bought it a few years ago from a woman who’s father owned it. She had 4-5 bikes that were mostly rusted out and she said “this is the one he loved and kept in the garage.”

I’ve been wanting to bring it back to life as a project and now I finally have the time thanks to corona. Does anyone know what it is? There is no marking on the frame that I can see, but I saw “western flyer” on one of the tires and a WF logo on the handgrips. I googled the brand and can’t seem to find the exact one.

Ive never fully restored a bike before and I’m looking for some recommendations on how to best do it. I started rubbing the chrome down with foil and am quite happy with the results. There is lots of rust, but the pitting is not bad once I clean it up. I was thinking about having the frame powder coated maybe? Any advice on removing rust from the non-chrome metal parts? It seems to be in good mechanical condition. I pumped up the tires and it rode nicely. I just want to make it as new as possible.
Thanks I advance for any advice or information.
Chris

221DFA5C-3D5D-499B-A0E7-6EBD214BB0FE.jpeg

AE7382E0-579B-4B59-8771-09B9E6A233B3.jpeg

D0AE6A0A-11C4-4A96-8439-7BB7BF1B574F.jpeg

BFB72C73-3AA2-4C56-87BB-E85B09F57FAE.jpeg

1960s middle weight “space bike” kind-of-bike built by Murray Ohio; the grips are Western Flyer but may have been replaced by what was available at one time from the local Western Auto parts store.
Murray also supplied bicycles to various retailers. Takes middle weight 26 x 1.75” tires, but the all steel construction affects the actual weight.
I might not recommend a “restoration” but maybe a repair or refurbishment., depending on how much to spend or how much one enjoys the work as it’s own reward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I love old bikes and I think it would be a good project for me to familiarize myself with taking apart and putting bikes back together. Rubbing down all the chrome will take forever, but I’m willing to do it because I do get satisfaction on refurbishing old things (Mostly houses). Guess repainting won’t be worth the time and expense, but I think it will look good just cleaned up.

Murray Ohio Manufacturing built some of the Western Flyers, this is a deluxe frame that Sears called a Spaceliner. The grips are probably early-mid 60s based on the logo on them, somebody here has a partial Spaceliner that could help with parts. See the classifieds here.

wow thanks for that. So cool! So this originally had an electric light? I have the chain guard, but mine is a bit different. And I see there is a hole in the rear fender for a reflector. Looks like I’m also missing whatever that is above the front fender past the fork. Any idea what that is? Do you know if they sell any repo parts? Looks like he chromed his out, wanted to keep my more original looking.

I agree with Archie, a repair and refurbishment. You'll have a great riding bike with the right amount of patina. I will warn you though, old bike's are like crack. Once you start you're hooked. All it took for me was one old bike, and it was "Katy bar the door" after that. :) Welcome, and enjoy. There is a lot of knowledge, and good people ready to help on the forum. If not for them I wouldn't have had the slightest idea where to start.

Back