When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with year and manufacturer Montgomery Ward 10 speed

-

Rammstein

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently purchased a Montgomery Ward 10 speed. I would like to know what year it was made and by who. I have tried a few internet searches but no luck.

It has Cherry branded center pull brakes, Huret front derailleur, Shimano Eagle rear derailleur, Shimano "333" stem shifter, the spoke protector also has the Shimano 333 marking. Have not had a chance to clean the hubs to see what they are. 27 x 1-1/4 tires.
IMG_0456-L.jpg

IMG_0462-L.jpg

IMG_0464-L.jpg

IMG_0487-L.jpg

IMG_0476-L.jpg

IMG_0467-L.jpg

IMG_0502-L.jpg

More pictures here:
https://zookster.smugmug.com/Hiking/Bicycles/Montgomery-Ward-10-Speed

1970’s because of the BMA sticker, maybe an AMF or Huffy or even Snyder, (just because it does not look like a Murray).

See the dust cap on the bottom bracket crank hanger (Snyder?). The rear fork ends triangle shape looks like a derivative of the post war Snyder design.

We have seen other Snyder stampings with five digits followed by a suffix letter “R” and in this example, it is in addition to another more typical serial number stamping.

[1973 O.F. Mossberg era?].
1972 and earlier have another catalog model number (30570R) for the 21” although in the same flamboyant gold color; and the 1974 catalog shows different blue & green bikes.

Last edited:
It is an AMF build. The spoke protector and chain ring set should indicate a year. Same equipment on this piece.

00101_7iv30wco1qw_1200x900-jpg.jpg

I see it has a BMA certificate so that can help You date it.....I am guessing early to mid 70s.....Those kinds of bikes were all over the place back then.....That Shimano Eagle Der. is a nice piece.....If You adjusted and oiled those correctly they would work great and last forever!!!

Thanks for the replies and information. I hope to get it on the workstand in the next week or so. Curious to see what date stamps I can find on the components. One odd thing about it, there is a hole in the top of the BB. It appears it might have threads, maybe was for a zerk fitting or an oil port of some type?

IMG_0479-M.jpg

Last edited:
Did some disassembly today. Could not find a date code on the RD, no date or code found on the FD either. It has a Maillard freewheel, I don't have a remover for it. Will have to wait until I get one to see if the spoke protector has a code. The crank has S 171 cast into it, did not have time to remove the chain rings today. The stem was stuck and took a few hours to get freed up. There are some markings on the stem, I will get some pictures tomorrow. Seatpost did not have any markings other than the Min Insertion line.

Back