When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Soliciting early Indian catalogs between 1902 -1912?

I’m curious about the motor bike frame design when was it introduced? We know that in the year of 1908, Oscar Hedstrom presented celebrity racer Jake DeRosier with a unique Indian Motocycle. DeRosier went on to amass hundreds of victories as Indian’s factory racer with this bike.
Note the diamond frame design on these two 1908 Moto Cycles?
file6-1.jpg

file12-1.jpg

Now look at the frame design two years later…is the 1910 model the impetus for the Indian signature design?
file8-1.jpg

1909 Truss Loop Frame

1908 Indian Ad:

attachment.php

1909 is when they went to the loop frame with double top bars (Truss Frame). They were just following Excelsior and other European manufacturers designs. The only thing "signature Indian" on the 1910 model is the tank design and leaf spring fork... which show up on other models besides Hendee built. That's a nice Racycle looking fork there too! Anyone know the story with that?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
in speaking with gurus of early indian its hinted that the camelback frames/diamond of 1909 were likely a way to get rid of old stock,the chain drive/belt drive argument was still on the table in 09..............there were pros and cons for both drives.........."roads" were so poop that belt seemed to be more reliable,the jerking on the drive belt/chain from the horrible conditions made cycling a challenge

I’m going out on the limb with a conjecture...

I’m sure what I'm about to say will ruffle a few feathers? But I believe the Hendee Indian Mfg Co., stopped making bicycles in 1902 and didn't reintroduced their bicycle until 1916!
I encourage anyone who disputes this theory to please participate in this thread; share your knowledge and offer documented evidence; i.e., catalogs or brochures within this 13 year period.

How did I arrive at my speculation? Read the high lighted content below,
The United States Investor, September 25, 1915.
HendeeReturnspng-1.jpg

Here's an ad that mentions the return of the Indian bicycle; February 27, 1916
ScreenShot20130831at84400AMpng-1.jpg

Here's an excerpt from an article featured in Motorcycle Illustrated January 26, 1911 vol. 6. no. 3 describes the new 1910 Indian factory.

...The latest extension to the Indian factory in Springfield, Mass is now occupied and the new department are in full swing turning out the Hendee product. As a result earlier deliveries and a greatly increased output are assured. The new section is 264 feet long and five stories high. The ground floor is devoted to plating and polishing department and the rough stock room. The tool room, find grinding department and gear cutting and inspection rooms are located on the second floor and the next floor is given up to sheet metal work and the building of Indian motors for areoplanes . The frame making department is on the fourth floor, while the top floor affords a well equipped repair department and huge room for finished stock. In the central section of the building, consisting of the ends of the two wings and the section connecting same, the lower floor is taken up by the shipping department. On the second floor is the main office of the company, extending across the building, and considered to be the handsomest office room in New England. The third story is occupied by the experimental laboratory and draughting room, while the fourth floor is a spacious enameling room.
No mentioning of a bicycle department!!!

Lastly featured in the 1916 Indian Bicycle Catalog, page 09 George M. Hendee mentions a discontinuing of bicycle manufacturing for 14 years!

…1897 saw the beginning of the expansion of a name that means more in the two-wheeled industry than any other today. The Hendee Manufacturing Company was formed and floor space taken in a building on Worthington Street. Here the manufacture of Indian Bicycles started and went on until 1902, when the development of the motorcycle made their discontinuance necessary because Mr. Hendee felt it imperative that he give all his time and effort to the gasoline machine.

And now, after fourteen years, 1916 again brings back the Indian Bicycle.

Last edited:
Motor Age clip

I’m sure what I'm about to say will ruffle a few feathers? But I believe the Hendee Indian Mfg Co., stopped making bicycles in 1902 and didn't reintroduced their bicycle until 1916!

I encourage anyone who disputes this theory to please participate in this thread; share your knowledge and offer documented evidence; i.e., catalogs or brochures within this 14 year period.

From 1904 Motor Age:

booksidg43mAAAAMAAJpgPA1img1zoom3hlensig-1.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
That's a great find...so we now know Indians bicycles were made up to 1904? Any other years prior to 1916?

more info on Aurora

booksidEzgfAQAAMAAJpgRA14PA3img1zoom3hle-1.jpg

"The Hendee Manufacturing Company of Springfield Mass builders of the Indian motorcycles tricars and delivery vans announces that hereafter the motors carbureters and various other parts which were heretofore built by the Aurora Automatic Machinery Company of Aurora ILL under patents controlled by Geo M Hendee will be manufactured at the Hendee plant. The principal reason for this step was that for several seasons the Springfield concern has not been able to get motors and other parts in sufficient quantities to even supply a part of their big business. Oscar Hedstrom will have the direction of the building department."

Last edited:
1916 Indian Bicycles Catalog

I will not post this catalog as it is available in reprint reasonably to anyone from Howie Cohen at his Everything Bicycles site for $28.00 shipped. I bought a reprint and it is an excellent reprint of the original. I did want to make everyone aware that it is available in reprint format. It is available at:

http://www.proteanpaper.com//scart_...=norm&srkeyall=ALL&srkeywords=indian&srcateg=

As referenced by fordsnake this catalog clearly states Hendee quit making bicycles in 1902 and began again in 1916. The question becomes is this accurate based on the 1904 article posted by chitown. I also have a 1903 Indian Bicycles & Motor Bicycles catalog on the way to me. We'll see if it actually has bicycles in it so over time hopefully we can solve the mystery of what was the true gap when Hendee Mfg. did not produce bicycles.

I want to encourage others with Hendee Indian documentation particularly relating to bicycles from 1902 to 1915, please post it here for the benefit of all CABE'rs who are fanatics over the Indian brand. This is a pertinent gap in the Hendee/Indian timeline.

IMG_2331_zps68d4face-1.jpg

IMG_2347_zps352388d5-1.jpg

The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review - Jan. 8, 1903

The Bicycling World & Motorcycle Review - Jan. 8, 1903 - page 428

Hendee to continue to market both motor & motorless bicycles.

So we know from this Hendee Mfg did market bicycles in 1903!!!!!!!

bicyclingw4619021903newy_0330_zpsdd96d86-1.jpg

bicyclingw4619021903newy_0329_zpsc21e316-1.jpg

Back