When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

-

I'm not sure how you arrived at your conclusion that Westfield built early Indians...but for our edification please share your documentation (evidence) or pics of a 1901 Indian to compare? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall watching Augustus Pope and George Hendee battle over infringements and patents. LOL
Pope wasn't in Westfield in 1901, Hartford...

Indian rider,
Another Indian motobike project I rescued from ebay, thanks to all of you who helped me make it roadworthy again. Kevinsbikes for the cool wheelset, Jobo for the chainring, and Xcelsior, for a great badge. others also i'm sure.
I did a patina restoration, the frame /forks came with white and red housepaint that I carefully peeled off easily revealing patches of red with a silver galvanized at bottom, deep red inside the BB, as well. this one had the F prefix serial, also, as a blue track racer i'm working on. I'm still researching years of origin. Late 20s?View attachment 1486154

It rides solid, but a job to go uphill!
View attachment 1486155

View attachment 1486156

View attachment 1486157

View attachment 1486159

View attachment 1486160

Hi, great bike but sorry to be a conveyor of bad news but that frame is not an Indian frame as far as I know. However It's Westfield built frame.
Indian frames came with 2 lugs from 1916 to 1922. The lugs were: one the top tube were it joins the post tube and other on the lower tube were it joins the post tube. From 1923 on they came with one lug on the lower tube only were it joins the seat post. The space between the top and lower bars should be one inch (1" or very close) were they meet the seat post. Some Columbra frames also share this chacarteristics.
Yours have two lugs together just like my Westifield Motobike or this old Pope (credits to Odball).
This is based in my reserach of Indian bicycles during the years, but If someone has other information, please share it.
Best Regards.

I have asked different folks when the Indian script badge first appears (bicycle or motorcycle). No one seems to have a definite answer. If you have any early literature please post. This proves it was around in December of 1903:

View attachment 1702165
Have you checked with Matt at Wheels Through Time? I think the oldest they have is an '03 but he may have literature. V/r Shawn

Back