When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

-
B35FBD9F-2EB5-46A7-A371-8A10301D3EFC.jpeg
AB18C922-6324-49AC-98BA-8FD41BF500E5.jpeg
1A3BAD86-6C2C-4E1F-92F8-42DD13C17FDA.jpeg
Cleaned up 1923 Indian. Yes it’s all original...

Very much enjoyed this thread on early Indian bicycle history, added these pages from 1902 Indian Cycle Catalog. This is the first to include an Indian Motocycle. Note, the picture of the motocycle is the prototype, the production units had several changes, most noticable is the proto had this very small fuel tank which has no Indian logo.

Thanks Ken, you just helped closed another gap of the Indian bicycle history with this 1902 catalog addition. It's interesting to see that Hendee had introduced a few of the iconic Indian features in 1902; its frame design and the chainring. Also note; all models were painted black with the exception of the "RED INDIAN" which came in two additional colors; royal blue and vermillion (the Indian Red). These all sported the opened cut-out Indian badge. One last thing, you make mention the motorcycle featured in this catalog is possibly a prototype? Respectfully, Hendee Motorcycles had been established and were in full production by 1902...read their manifesto (your 3rd attachment)" Facts Worth Mentioning" #7.

By 1904 Hendee had stopped manufacturing bicycles all together and had placed a great importance on producing the best motocycle, as evident in the introduction of the Indian 1916 bicycle catalog.
Catalog Hendee.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, you just helped closed another gap of the Indian bicycle history with this 1902 catalog addition. It's interesting to see that Hendee had introduced a few of the iconic Indian features in 1902; its frame design and the chainring. Also note; all models were painted black with the exception of the "RED INDIAN" which came in two additional colors; royal blue and vermillion (the Indian Red). These all sported the opened cut-out Indian badge. One last thing, you make mention the motorcycle featured in this catalog is possibly a prototype? Respectfully, Hendee Motorcycles had been established and were in full production by 1902...read their manifesto (your 3rd attachment)" Facts Worth Mentioning" #7.

By 1904 Hendee had stopped manufacturing bicycles all together and had placed a great importance on producing the best motocycle, as evident in the introduction of the Indian 1916 bicycle catalog.
View attachment 714674

It looks like you misunderstood my note, yes the motocycles started production in 1902, I just wanted to let everyone know that the image used in the first catalog is not of the production model, it is actually the pre production prototype which Hedstrom fabricated.

Apologies - I have been all over the place lately with rim research and I grabbed this without dating it. But - most of my research has been within the date range you are talking about. I'll still try and backtrack to see if I can find this in my history - but off the top of my head, I just cannot remember. I grab things sometimes while doing other research that I think is interesting.

Back