When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Henderson X please help with any info

-

Do you like this type of bike?

• Total voters
Looks like a Schwinn built bike.
Yup, Schwinn bought the companies Excelsior and Henderson and this is one of the bikes they built after those acquisitions, however we are trying to find out the specifics of the model, year, options, etc. People have told us this is one of the more rare and expensive bikes from Schwinn of its time but no confirmation on paper as of yet.

Yup, Schwinn bought the companies Excelsior and Henderson and this is one of the bikes they built after those acquisitions, however we are trying to find out the specifics of the model, year, options, etc. People have told us this is one of the more rare and expensive bikes from Schwinn of its time but no confirmation on paper as of yet.

Ok, I saw your posting title
"help with any info" so, figured identification of builder was helpful. I look at construction halmarks vs what badge is on a bike, many get swapped over time.

Schwinn used a numeric identification system of their motorbike models.
It's just called a motorbike #?
#9 was un-equiped,
# 10E was equipped, light & can, tank, rack.

Yours looks like a #9 with an added tank at some point.

To help date it, more forensics please.

Serial number......
Pull crank to observe stamping
Rear hub pic (if original)
Are wheels chrome or nickle?

Here's a 10E sample
schwinn.jpg

Ok, I saw your posting title
"help with any info" so, figured identification of builder was helpful. I look at construction halmarks vs what badge is on a bike, many get swapped over time.

Schwinn used a numeric identification system of their motorbike models.
It's just called a motorbike #?
#9 was un-equiped,
# 10E was equipped, light & can, tank, rack.

Yours looks like a #9 with an added tank at some point.

To help date it, more forensics please.

Serial number......
Pull crank to observe stamping
Rear hub pic (if original)
Are wheels chrome or nickle?
Was equipped with Shaw engine at some point in the past so some is an unknown but why I am here.
Serial number on bottom end 314277, the 3 is so slightly stamped it might be a capital B. You can make out some brass fill to the crank side.
Badge as well as any permanent rivet or joint has not be tampered with since new as far as anyone can tell so far.
The rear hub may or may not be original as when the Shaw would have been installed another sprocket would have been on the other side, but also these are easily removed. It is marked New C Departure.
All paint matches and shows wear in the same way, so fenders are presumed to be original as well as tank and there are no multiple layers of paint, just the original red with brass on joints underneath.
Wood 28" wheels that are nickle on the outside and fully round tube-tires from Goodyear.
Tank and decal are thought to be original as they are matching in paint and wear placement, would like to know your thoughts why it would not have come with one.

Last edited:
Serial number on bottom end 314277, the 3 is so slightly stamped it might be a capital B. You can make out some brass fill to the crank side.
Anyone know how to break down this serial number?

Back