When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERCULES bikes that were made in Germany..info needed..

-

jimsbeercans

Finally riding a big boys bike
Bought his / hers Hurcules that were made in Germany. Had to hide them from the wife so right now I'm limited on seeing my purchase.
I do have the manual for it but its also in German. No dates on the book to guide me on the year of the bikes.

Have you ever seen these? Has a 6 speed with the derailleur on one side and a cable where is a 3 speed on the other?? 18 speed?

Any info out there on these?? Everything is marked "H" . Fenders, pedals, lights, generators, etc.

IMG_5783.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

-----

Produced by Hercules Werke AG of Nurnberg.

They appear to hail from the 1977-82 time.

Spots to check for date marks:

portion of stem down inside steerer

end of handlebar under grip

backside of crank arms

hub barrels

wheel rims

backside of brake calipers as here:

Here is a dreigang example from 1968 -

-----

Last edited:
ok. will do that tomorrow. THANKS. Ever seen a rear hub like that??
with reflector on the pedals and 2 per wheel I figured close to that. The mixte frame "swoops up" not like the ones you see the most of..

I had a chance to view these some more. Don't understand the rear gear hub. Its so small that maybe jus ta 2 speed then 6 on the cassette. making it a 12 speed.
The hubs were dated 1983.
Will eventually get to them. I hope!

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

IMG_5791.JPG

thats it. Thanks for the link!

A see pairs on ebay ask for a decent price but none SOLD in the history. Do these sell??
Another winter project.

-----

Produced by Hercules Werke AG of Nurnberg.

They appear to hail from the 1977-82 time.

Spots to check for date marks:

portion of stem down inside steerer

end of handlebar under grip

backside of crank arms

hub barrels

wheel rims

backside of brake calipers as here:

View attachment 1261536

Here is a dreigang example from 1968 -

View attachment 1261539

View attachment 1261540

View attachment 1261541

-----

I love how the Germans put on a front fender decoration. American brats would break them off?

Bought his / hers Hurcules that were made in Germany. Had to hide them from the wife so right now I'm limited on seeing my purchase.
I do have the manual for it but its also in German. No dates on the book to guide me on the year of the bikes.

Have you ever seen these? Has a 6 speed with the derailleur on one side and a cable where is a 3 speed on the other?? 18 speed?

Any info out there on these?? Everything is marked "H" . Fenders, pedals, lights, generators, etc.

View attachment 1261484

View attachment 1261485

View attachment 1261486

View attachment 1261487

Nice tool kit.

thats it. Thanks for the link!

A see pairs on ebay ask for a decent price but none SOLD in the history. Do these sell??
Another winter project.

-----

the Sachs Orbita hybrid gear system seems to be largely unknown in the U.S.

have never seen a discussion thread come up about the system on a U.S. based bicycle forum

-----

Back