When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERCULES Ladies Bicycle help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is a 1930s Canadian Import Eatons Glider made in England and probably a Hercules by the looks of the seat stays and Crank and striping .
But it has a New departure hub and the pedals are half inch .
Paint on frame and wheels came out awesome with just some WD40 and 0000 steel wool .
Lots of pin striping.
The crank is an exact nos replacement I got lucky .
Tons of 3/4inch pedal cranks like this but you never see 1/2 inch the original one on the bike had a big farmer weld on the sprocket .
Had to use a new Crank bolt they aren't hard to find here but you have to shave them to size with a file .

IMG_8888.JPG

Last edited:
This is a 1930s Canadian Import Eatons Glider made in England and probably a Hercules by the looks of the seat stays and Crank and striping .
But it has a New departure hub and the pedals are half inch .
Paint on frame and wheels came out awesome with just some WD40 and 0000 steel wool .
Lots of pin striping.
The crank is an exact nos replacement I got lucky .
Tons of 3/4inch pedal cranks like this but you never see 1/2 inch the original one on the bike had a big farmer weld on the sprocket .
Had to use a new Crank bolt they aren't hard to find here but you have to shave them to size with a file .

View attachment 1350077
Any idea of the year? I think those are the first truss rods I've seen on an English bike. Was that just for export bikes?

SirMike - Yes, they are a 1mm self adhesive strips
Bleedingfingers - That is a lovely looking bike, very nicely restored.

Oilit that's a tough one as finding info. like serial number dating for Hercules bikes doesn't seem to be out there .
1930s was as close as I could get and was probably from an old Eatons catalog picture .
Thanks Brams I think mine was stored indoors so was just in very good condition to start with.
Paint was faded about the same color as yours but really came back with the WD-40 and steel wool wheels were dead straight even with 1 broken spoke .

Also wanted to tell you if you are looking for handlebar grips like the ones that were on your bike check out Vintage CCM site it is Canadian but there is a guy on that site that reproduces those bee hive grips in various colours .

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. Do you have a name on that site for the guy please?

Could the Perry coaster brake arm font/logo be a clue to the decade of mfg?
I have a similar bike with what looks like the same Perry font (poster's pic is not clear). At least in the Perry & Co ads on Grace's Guide, only in the teens and 20s are cursive fonts using upper and lower case used. I posted Cyclesmithy's other variation on the font for comparison.
Im19250306MCT-Perry.jpg
Im19180815EW-Perry.jpg
Im19130530CT-Perry.jpg

hercules perry arm.jpg
cyclesmithy4.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a little progress but not as much as I'd liked, it was just too cold to try paint anything here. I did have the frame, rear guard & rims blasted & they are now painted, I just need to do all the pin striping & clear coat everything then reassemble everything.
I've also been working on my Peugeot road bike which I've decided to upgrade the components. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/is-thie-a-peugeot-px10.183969/
2jayscafe - I think the closest look to my bike I've been able to find is the 1939 Catalogue with the CA/LT Model. What get's me though is the unique front brake lever, it's totally different to all the other bikes of the era as the brackets were all handle bar mounted not stem mounted like mine. Good find with the Perrry Vs PERRY logo though, thanks.

1939 Hercules Catalog.PNG

I've made a little progress but not as much as I'd liked, it was just too cold to try paint anything here. I did have the frame, rear guard & rims blasted & they are now painted, I just need to do all the pin striping & clear coat everything then reassemble everything.
I've also been working on my Peugeot road bike which I've decided to upgrade the components. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/is-thie-a-peugeot-px10.183969/
2jayscafe - I think the closest look to my bike I've been able to find is the 1939 Catalogue with the CA/LT Model. What get's me though is the unique front brake lever, it's totally different to all the other bikes of the era as the brackets were all handle bar mounted not stem mounted like mine. Good find with the Perrry Vs PERRY logo though, thanks.

View attachment 1388444
After hours of searching just to pin down it's a Hercules, I started to wonder if it also had some 1950s parts on it. Finally finding your post (and the many helpful comments) satisfied me it was mostly original, though later than first suspected.

Regarding your hand brake, are all the parts held on with clamps or are there fixed mounts/holes for it? I'm wondering if mine was originally just a coaster brake model (though I have yet to find one example without hand brake) or was the hand brake removed at some point? I saw the other bike in this thread which had mounts on the handle bars, mine has nothing.

If you look at pic number 6 in my first post you can see the brakes mounted on the handle bar stem with a bracket.

Have you got any pics of your bike you can upload? I think it would be interesting to compare.

Back