When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hercules Raleigh Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hercules Roadster

These seem to be considerable newer than the one I just picked up.

Need lots of parts fro this bike.
some good Dunlop rims would be wonderful.
I also need a Sturmy Archer 3spd shifter from the mid 30's era.
I think I may have found a Bottom bracket and Crank for it though.

Attachments

• IMG_20111001_202118.jpg
    IMG_20111001_202118.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20111001_202129.jpg
    IMG_20111001_202129.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20111001_202145.jpg
    IMG_20111001_202145.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20111001_220223.jpg
    IMG_20111001_220223.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20111001_201956.jpg
    IMG_20111001_201956.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
old bicycle

I would say early 50s maybe late 40s, what happened to the lights and stator ? are there any signs of it having them or not?

I would say early 50s maybe late 40s, what happened to the lights and stator ? are there any signs of it having them or not?

No sign of ever having lights and stator. I' pretty sure the wheels are original as the front hub has the Herc. Emblem on it. with a pair of Dunlop steel hoops. You will notice that there is no chrome on this bike either. I believe it to be one of the more inexpensive models they sold in the US market after the depression.
On another forum someone nailed the year to 1937 because of the seat post and the numbers on the Sturmey Archer hub. Like I said, the front hub is a Hercules hub.

On a side note, I've begun to gather the parts to restore it to running condition. I doubt I'll do a repaint as the finish isn't all that bad. I'm still missing the top tube shifter and the bottom bracket; and of course the seat. The seat is still sold new by Brooks as Brooks bought out both Wright and Dunlop's saddle division at some point and they still make the very same saddle. I also found a fellow that could rebuild the saddle that is on it for about the same price as a new one. Just depends on what a fellow wants to do.

Rod brake parts

Well, If you need soon rod brake parts They still offer rod brake bicycles here in Italy.
Although You have to check the threads on it Proly English On second thought try a british ebay uk...

Well, If you need soon rod brake parts They still offer rod brake bicycles here in Italy.
Although You have to check the threads on it Proly English On second thought try a british ebay uk...

I believe I've got all the brake parts I need now. Yes, the UK is where I found them. Ebay for sure.

This bike was made before Hercules was building their own hubs. It has a Sturmey Archer hub on it. I don't have the numbers now but on another site a fellow with a couple of these said the hub is a 1937; that, with the "7" shaped seat post and Dunlop saddle he was quite sure it was a 1937 model.

Hercules 3-Speed hub

Yes! An A Type 0 hub is definitely from 1950. They changed to the B Type in 1953 (hence B Type 3, etc.).

Chainguard

That is definitely a pre-Raleigh Hercules. As was said upthread, Raleigh bought out the Hercules brand in 1960.

I have a 1960 Hercules. It's an odd bike in that it has a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne nameplate that says Made in Birmingham, England, but has the Hercules coat of arms on the downtube and says HERCULES very prominently on the seat tube. So that points to a true Hercules. Then, there's the hub which is a Sturmey Archer AW with a date code of 60 4.

And the kicker is that it doesn't look like an English roadster at all. It is more of a 50s cruiser style, with a unique twin toptube that's really a continuation of the seat stays all the way to the head tube.

HPIM0503-1.jpg

You need this guy's chainguard!! - http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?19191-What-Year-Is-It
Your bike is an export model made by Raleigh in England, for the U.S. market. Some of them were made as a
'Trio-Tube Model', with a cantilever tube between the seat-tube and the down-tube - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35531
The Raleigh Javelin is a similar model.

Just came across this site. I just picked up a 53 Churchill with a Sturmey-Archer Dyno-hub marked 10 53 which is why I am assuming it is a 53. The rear hub is Hercules but it is L-N-H. Got new tires,tubes and rim strips. Going to mount a Trojan Mini Motor on it and use it at swap meets to get around. Here are a few pictures of the old girl.
Got more questions than answers but your site is the first to let me know it is a Hercules badged as a Churchill, must be a story there. Still for $20 I can't go wrong.
More and better pictures will be coming. I am more into older British motorcycles.
DSCN0257.JPG
DSCN0258.JPG

Back