Hercules "royal Prince" Made In Birmingham.

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Eatontkd

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 5, 2016
Central PA
www.eatontaekwondo.com
Looking to restore this Hercules. The chrome looks good from a distance and the paint is worn through to the primer in many spots. I'd like to find it's year of production but the only stamp I can find is "B 1405" on the fork below the headset. The 3-speed hub is made by Hercules not S/A. Any ideas on how to find the date on this one would be appreciated!
Herc5.jpg

Herc2.jpg

Hercbadge.jpg

Gasbag

Nov 4, 2013
"B type 6" hub is generally thought to be 1956, where the 6 is the year. B hub production began in 1952 and a first year hub would be "B type 2".

Nice bike by the way!

Reactions: Oilit and Eatontkd

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
it's all Raleigh (at least TI) - the tubing fork crown is proof of that. Nice bike, and it looks cozy.

Reactions: Eatontkd

Gasbag

Nov 4, 2013
Tubing Investments (TI) was the parent corporation that acquired and consolidated many of the British bicycle brands. The major brand consolidation began in the very late 1950s and continued into the 1960s. It is generally thought that rather than move the inventories of the factories to Raleigh in Nottingham, that the individual brands continued building until inventory had been mostly depleted and the remaining inventory was then moved to the Raleigh plant. There are all kinds of odd combinations in the early sixties bikes as a result. Here is a link to a small wiki about TI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI_Group

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
Ok, but I was under the understanding that Raleigh didn't purchase Hercules till 1960... Were they "sharing" parts as a lot of other Brit industries did?
As I followed the wiki, TI owned Hercules before they merged them with Raleigh in 1960. So while your bike was made in the Midlands, probably after 1960, the manufacturing moved to Nottingham.

Great head badge.

Eatontkd

Jun 5, 2016
Central PA
www.eatontaekwondo.com
Yeah that sounds like what I got out of the article too. I was interested in the bike because of the chain guard and the head badge. The seller also threw in a barn fresh Rudge from 1953. It's rough and I'mnot sure where I am going with it. I can post pics if you're interested.

Reactions: bulldog1935
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
I think the Hercules is the more interesting because of its uniqueness. Both are quality bikes.

The alloy hub is uncommon but not rare on the Rudge.

This is an English bike collector rorschach test of sorts. Some love upgraded, conventional bikes like the Rudge, and some like oddball or more unique bikes like this combo part Hercules. I like the oddball stuff. I have a Hercules Model C coaster brake variation from 1946 that I love.

Gasbag

Nov 4, 2013
I'm with SirMike on this. My Rudge and Raleighs are nice and desirable bikes but as I have matured in the English 3-speed hobby my interest has become piqued by the oddball and lesser known brands and models. I have two bikes built by the Cooperative Wholesale Society (CWS) in Tyseley England. CWS weren't built for export so they came to our shores as somebodies personal property. I jokingly say that I have the largest CWS collection in North America but that may actually be factual. Not much more than a year ago I wouldn't have thought about parting ways with my Raleigh DL-1 or Rudge Sport but I now see that as a possiblity to be replaced by bikes that are virtually unknown to most other 3-speed enthusiasts. I guess I have gone down the rabbit hole in this hobby.

Reactions: HARPO and Oilit

Eatontkd

Jun 5, 2016
Central PA
www.eatontaekwondo.com
Sounds like I most've done well here for a first timer! He was asking $70 for both. I could've offered him less, but I felt him to be in need of the cash so I parted with my money and came home with both...my wife was thrilled!! The seller has A LOT more old bikes, I mean, A LOT! If any of you are interested in seeing YOUR wife thrilled, let me know and I pass on his info! :)

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
general principle - there's a Schwinn conspiracy - they have their own Schwinn Lightweight forum page, but they still post Schwinns here and top them any time they can
So I keep looking for nice Condorinos to post.

condorino.jpg

Reactions: Oilit and Eatontkd

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
Sounds like I most've done well here for a first timer! He was asking $70 for both. I could've offered him less, but I felt him to be in need of the cash so I parted with my money and came home with both...my wife was thrilled!! The seller has A LOT more old bikes, I mean, A LOT! If any of you are interested in seeing YOUR wife thrilled, let me know and I pass on his info! :)
You cannot ask for a better deal than $70 for both. Each is worth more than that individually- the Hercules because of decent completeness and good condition, and the Rudge because of the brand cachet and alloy rear hub.

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
maybe just top threads of interest, or on-topic

And again, congratulations on such a great buy for very cool bikes.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!