When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Hercules Sports Model

-

kevin x

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hercules Sports Model with many original parts, original paint and partial decals and pinstripes. Made in Birmingham England likely in 1937. Has a 1937 Sturmey Archer Model K 3 speed hub, shifts well but only high and low gear, middle gear is not engaging. 26" Dunlop wheels (also from the 1930s?) Hercules horse hair saddle, cool Hercules pedals. The grip brake lever combo is not original and made in Japan.
Rides nice and all bearings have been cleaned and lubricated. $250 or best offer. Prefer not to ship but can deliver in Socal. If anyone knows anymore about this bike feel free to send me any info or corrections.

Thanks
Kevin

P9052598.JPG

P9052628.JPG

P9052628.JPG
P9052557.JPG

P9052618.JPG

P9052548.JPG
P9052550.JPG
P9052564.JPG
P9052597.JPG

P9052579.JPG
P9052611.JPG
P9052602.JPG

P9052600.JPG

P9052599.JPG

P9052624.JPG
P9052553.JPG

P9052544.JPG
P9052565.JPG

P9052586.JPG

P9052579.JPG

Last edited:
It looks to me that the gear shifter has an "N" in the middle. Perhaps that's "neutral" and not "middle gear" and the gears are working perfectly?? Just a thought since it sounds from your description as if something is wrong and perhaps it's working correctly which would gather more interest for a sale.

It looks to me that the gear shifter has an "N" in the middle. Perhaps that's "neutral" and not "middle gear" and the gears are working perfectly?? Just a thought since it sounds from your description as if something is wrong and perhaps it's working correctly which would gather more interest for a sale.

That's what I first thought too, but I have been informed by a few people that the N is the mid range gear - direct one to one ratio and the K-7 is an early 3 speed, but I never found out what the N stands for.

N is "Normal"

L- Low
N- Normal
H- High

The Model K actually should not have a "neutral" at all because it should have a ramped clutch, at least on paper. I have seen some K's with AW type clutches in them. Your shifting issue could be cable adjustment, or could be a wonky clutch. Cable is the more likely.

K-7 is model K of 1937, a very late model K.

The badge graphic in the center has been obliterated, but you do have some nice graphics on the frame and fenders.

Last edited:
thank you, @SirMike1983 :)

"The indicator rod of three-speed hubs should be adjusted when the control lever is in the normal gear position, i.e., No. 2"

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/files/view-14.pdf

It's good to point that Sheldon article out. The most common hub issue is maladjusted cable. It's also the easiest to fix. If the hub is properly oiled and adjusted and still gives problems, then you do have a mechanical issue. But the cable thing is where to go first.

Thanks Scott and SirMike. I learned something new and will take another shot at getting that Normal gear working.

Have you tried shifting with the cable disconnected ? Bike in a stand shifting by hand will rule out mechanical issues with the hub.

Back