When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here I Go Again...ANOTHER Raleigh DL-1 Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Well, it seems I just can't get enough of these bikes. Another Craigslist find here on Long Island.
I bought one last year...a 1972 in a 24'' size. I had it here on THE CABE with before and after photos.

This one is from May of 1970, and the fenders are going to be a challenge because of the rust. It was a one owner bike, and he told me he attached the yellow plastic to keep his pants from going into the wheel as he rode it to work. Apparently he didn't go far, as there's a cyclometer attached to the front wheel that showed (after I wiped off the grease) 233 miles. From what I can see on the fenders, the bike did a lot of rainy weather. Yet the frame's paint has fared very well as there is grease build on it.

The chrome, though it looks as hopeless as my last project DL-1, will polish out beautifully just as well. I tried a terrible looking spot and the rust came right off. Love the old Raleigh's! This actually gave me a lot of leverage with the final price.
IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

Well, onto working on the bike!:D

That restored bike is gorgeous, Harpo! I'm a sucker for British 3-speeds and their brethren, and a DL-1 is first on my most-wanted list, right behind a good condition Superbe with dynohub.

When I was a kid, my very first tax-paying job was working in a Raleigh shop, 1972, after school. You would not believe how many of those I unboxed and assembled! Brings back a lot of memories. I was in love with all of the Raleighs. I lusted for a Professional so badly, but making $30 bucks a week, it wasn't going to happen. Best I could do was a Grand Prix. A white Grand Prix, which I later swapped out the cottered crank for a Shimano Dura Ace, which cost me dearly. The shop didnt have a tool for the BB, so my dad - being a machinist - made one for me. I was so proud of that crankset! So smooth. So nice.

Almost every bit of rust is coming off, thanks to #0000 steel wool...WD-40...and a brass brush. The grease was so caked on the crank it was like removing concrete. But the chrome beneath glistening! Also, after cleaning off the mud on the tires, it still has its original DUNLOP's on it!!
Even though the cyclometer showed on 233 miles, this little puppy was apparently put away wet as the fender rust would indicate.
:D
Photos to follow soon...

I have a few rod brakes older Raleighs.I actually got one in mint shape with the instruction book.The seller pulled it out of a dumpster across he street from him..........
raleigh resto.JPG
raleigh 3.JPG

In the Boston area, old English roadsters sell for cheap. there's always a bunch of them for sale, and they're nearly theft-proof from what I'm told. Don't know if they're under-appreciated or that they're so indestructible that the large supply never dwindles and they just get moved on from one generation of college student to the next for probably about the same money the previous generation bought them for. I've been thinking of picking a step-through up as a family runabout.

Back