When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here I Go Again...Another Raleigh Sports...

-
After a wipe down with Fantastic, I figured I'd go try a quick once over on the rear fender with some Polishing Compound. This is going to be one nice shiny Sports when I get done with it.

Oh, and I was right on my take of the year on the bike...1974...

My problem is that I have to STOP checking Facebook, Craigslist, etc. because I can't stop buying, lol (I'm finally under 30 bikes as of right now).

And yes, I search all kinds of wording because most bikes are never listed properly. That's where the best deals usually are found.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Last edited:
That must have been produced at the same time as mine. My 1974 also has a 5-74 hub. Mine had the original tires when I bought it, and those broke down at the side wall as well. Same problem.

It will clean up nicely. I don't think it has very many miles on it. I like how the bronze green looks. Sometimes you see it in a very faded state or with a milky haze over it. But when it's clean and shiny, it looks very good. The other thing is that the color seems to have had some natural variation too. Perhaps they mixed it a little differently in different time periods. I have a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix that is a very "green" bronze green. I also had a Raleigh Sprite from around 1970 that had more "bronze" in it. I had a 1970s Raleigh Twenty that was in between. And my 1974 Sports was in between the extremes, but more on the green side.

The "bronze" Sprite:

20170709_150903.jpg

The much more "green" than bronze Grand Prix:

20170709_150859.jpg

the crank was most likely Japanese or from Taiwan. it did not break but the pedal arms ended up not being parallel which made it a bit strange to ride. I had not become the ace bike mechanic I am now yet and had no idea how to fix it. I got my mechanical abilities from my Mom, I bet she could have fixed it, but I did not mention it. my Dad could not fix anything.
Maybe you already know by now then, but for anyone who doesn't, that just means one of the cotters was in backwards.

If you purchased this from 'Ellie', I saw this also. I inquired about the size and she advised that she had just sold it. I moved to slow. Lesson learned. Looking for my first.

It will clean up nicely. I don't think it has very many miles on it. I like how the bronze green looks. Sometimes you see it in a very faded state or with a milky haze over it. But when it's clean and shiny, it looks very good. The other thing is that the color seems to have had some natural variation too. Perhaps they mixed it a little differently in different time periods. I have a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix that is a very "green" bronze green. I also had a Raleigh Sprite from around 1970 that had more "bronze" in it. I had a 1970s Raleigh Twenty that was in between. And my 1974 Sports was in between the extremes, but more on the green side.

The "bronze" Sprite:

View attachment 1471736

The much more "green" than bronze Grand Prix:

View attachment 1471737

Wow, what a difference in color!

If you purchased this from 'Ellie', I saw this also. I inquired about the size and she advised that she had just sold it. I moved to slow. Lesson learned. Looking for my first.

Hi @Canoeguy And yes, it was from Ellie! Wow, small world lately.

And like I said, I even hesitated because of the amount of bikes I have. But once you get started in this crazy hobby, it's really a hard thing to stop!! 🤪 Part of it is just the "Thrill Of The Hunt".

Hi @Canoeguy And yes, it was from Ellie! Wow, small world lately.

And like I said, I even hesitated because of the amount of bikes I have. But once you get started in this crazy hobby, it's really a hard thing to stop!! 🤪 Part of it is just the "Thrill Of The Hunt".
Sir, I live in Rocky Point. Have you posted a listing of any Sports/Superbs you might be selling?

Back