When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here is one, That your not going to see very often. Braun Blaster

-

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
Information on this bike was not super easy to find. Note: "I recently posted this information elsewhere, so if you happen to find a similar post, it's most likely from me. (I compiled it from other sources I found)."

This Moutain bike is a piece of the Braun's family history, It's unlikely that you will see one cruising around your neighborhood.

The Braun Blaster is a Vinatge Custom Moutain Bike that was made and sold by the Braun's Bike Shop in Kitchener Ontario Canada. The Shop was founded in 1925, it was family owned buisness, and survived three generations. It operated for 89 years, and eventualy closed its doors in 2014. When the buisness closed it was currently the oldest bicycle shop in the Waterloo Region of Ontario. and was one of the oldest in all of Canada. In their last year. they were a large shop that operated in a 16,000 square foot building, and employed about 30 people. They also sponsored a race team, and carried many highend brands such as "Rocky Mountain, Jamis, Scott, Fuji, Argon, Litespeed, Electra, Miele, Brodie, Redline, Fit, and Minelli"

I picked this one up a while back, and it dates back to the 80's. I just joined this site recently, and also wanted to post the information here, as I assume there are not too many of these around. I'm pretty sure everything I stated is correct, but if I made any mistakes please feel free to correct.

In my brief stay here, I have found this site to be a great resource, and thought this information might be of benefit for others who may need a future reference.

Moutain Bikes were my first passion in the world of cycling. Over the years I've had many (Nishiki, Miyata, Trek, Klien, Specialized, Giant, Raligh, Brodie, GT, Banshe, Jamis, Schwinn, Intense, Cannondale, Dean, I'm sure I'm forgeting a few). I also have experiance with quite a few of the high end componets that were available back in the day.

I started out on steel, went to aluminum, then over to carbon fiber (My carbon fiber GT ultimately meet its fate when I crashed into a tree).

Ultimately I found that I believe steel moutain bikes offer the best ride. After all the Moutain bikes I ever owned, I'd have to say my favorite one has to be my Treck 930 Singletrack (handbuilt in the USA). I'm not sure why, but this bike just fit's me like a glove. I have more miles on this bike, than any other one I have ever owned. It has been rebuilt several times, and everysingle part has been replaced other than frame. I still own it to this day. I first bought it as backup bike, and liked it so much that I ended up selling my Klein I was ridding at the time, and switched all my parts over to the Trek. The Trek is not the nicest moutain bike I've held on to, but I still love riding it when I get off road.

I'm now starting to get alittle older, and find myself riding them less and less. I'm starting to spend more time on vintage Schwinns, and Raleigh's, and have been riding mostly on the street now a days (Something I used to consider extreamly boring).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to eventually track down some even older steet bikes, but that just has not happened yet.

The handle bars and seat have been replaced on this Braun, I believe the rest is original.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
I concur with you on the steel frame for a MTB just rides better a former bike shop owner I know always said "steel is real"! He had all kinds of high end bikes to choose to ride but always migrated back to his 4130! Cool bike excellent story sad to hear that the shop closed down after all those years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the only other Braun's I have seen.

The bike in the original post was sold to a Chicago Police officer who after purchasing it flashed his badge, and told me the bike better check out. Up to that point I was less cautious and the experiance was a reality check. Before this instance I knew all my bikes were purchased fairly, but was naive to the market of stolen items. (Luckily He never contacted me back).

Every bike purchase and sale from that point on has had its serial numbers scanned to make sure its a safe purchase/sale. I have not yet found a Serial number reported as stolen. but if and when I do it will be reported to the authorities.

This Braun posted above definately came out of the same shop, here is a photo blown up of the faded logo. Its a perfect match to the one I posted a few years ago!

It's cool to see one of my initial posts pulled up here for referrence, as that was it's intent for some future date.

1.jpg

Whats funny is that time it was sold, It did not fit in his trunk, so the guy took his long sleaved collared shirt off, and tied his trunk down with his shirt to secure the bike for the ride home. I also now keep rope in my car just incase its needed to complete a sale.

Last edited:
Back