When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's a Raleigh you don't see everyday.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From what I've seen with German bikes, export models were export only models- someone in the US spec'd them and and bought them all on one contract. Folks on the German bike nerd boards get pretty interested when I post a US style German made bike- they have not seen them before, and they are as obsessed as people here on the CABE.
That makes sense. I know the American-style British bikes don't show up in the V-CC magazine. From what I've seen, if someone in England is interested in American bikes, they find an American bike to tinker with. And on the flip side, the people who bought British bikes here in the states probably bought them because they were different.

Last edited:
Raleigh certainly made "export" models intended for various markets, with the features depending on what was popular in those markets. Strictly speaking U.S.-dedicated Raleighs were a sort of export model in that they were intended to, and indeed left the U.K. for a foreign market. But many collectors here in the U.S. do not consider U.S. models "export" models because they intend the term to mean something other than a U.K. or U.S. bike - for example, one of the drum brake equipped roadsters sent to Denmark, or the oddball roadsters sent to continental Europe or the Caribbean. I've seen the unique red-and-white Canadian market models called "export" as well. It may just be that people think something more exotic and foreign when they use the term "export". I think you're right that this is something aimed squarely at the U.S. market of that time period. It's interesting to see a cantilever style frame made using British methods with lugs.

-----

note the first quality forged fork ends

if it had been produced a few years later these would have been stamped sheet

recall that Brampton produced such ends

-----

-----

it's good to see that Oilit's interest in and activity with vintage two-wheelers is active and ongoing

enjoy following along with each new intake

one downside of the new arrivals means that the Dunelt 5V is going to keep moseying further rearward in the queue... 😦

---

seeing that serious arbeidstationen there in the background of the photos apprises me that i should be careful not to embarrass meself with me technical ignorance 😯

-----

Last edited:
-----

it's good to see that Oilit's interest in and activity with vintage two-wheelers is active and ongoing

enjoy following along with each new intake

one downside of the new arrivals means that the Dunelt 5V is going to keep getting pushed further back in the queue... 😦

---

seeing that serious arbeidstationen there in the background of the photos apprises me that i should be careful not to embarrass meself with me technical ignorance 😯

-----
Not to worry. Dealing with some of these professors has taught me that no-one is an expert at everything. You're doing good to master any one field, and most of us don't have the luxury of concentrating on only one field. We learn enough to get by for most things and spend whatever time and energy is left on our individual interests and/or obsessions.

-----

ends clarification -

checked me Brampton catalogue of 1948 and their ends of this shape are specified as being pressed rather than forged

so evidently the ones on the cycle come from another producer...

-----

-----

cannot recall previously seeing a machine fitted with Raleigh marked what appear to be GB brake calipers

note how long is the adjustment slot here and in both the front and rear the pads are at the top of the travel suggesting that caliper model and frame geometry not a match made in heaven

-----
Looking at the internet, there's another on Bike Forums with what looks like the same brake, but different markings. On the left instead of "Raleigh" it says "G. B. Grand Tour". Post #13 in this thread:

Looking at the internet, there's another on Bike Forums with what looks like the same brake, but different markings. On the left instead of "Raleigh" it says "G. B. Grand Tour". Post #13 in this thread:

-----

VIVA Gerry Burgess!

Bring on that Hiduminium patio furniture. 😉

-----

Back