When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's one for the sleuths

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordsnake

I live for the CABE
I was asked the other day if I could ID this bike. The owner had been told it was a Westfield. I don't see the usual Westfield signature characteristics, but I could be blind. Lord knows its not the first time I've been wrong! I asked the owner if I could present this head scratcher to you guys for an answer and he welcomed the idea.

At first glimpse, I suspected maybe a Dayton? So I immediately went to https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/show-your-davis-built-bicycles.20560/page-18 I did find a similar bike (posts # 342 thru #346) It seems the bike even stumped Patric. I've attached photos of both bikes and their similarities. Anyone have a clue to the maker?

Below are three(4 images) bikes that I have stuck away in my moto-bike files. 1st is an "unknown" motobike very similar to the above frames. 2nd is what supposedly is "known"(?) to be a Schwinn- made bike. 3rd&4th images are of a solo frameset with a closeup of the front T-joinery on the head tube. This long crotch trumpet was ID'd as most likely schwinn. These lower top tube Trumpet tube ends are all very different maker to maker.
The T-mouth joinery in the 1st image is sorta close the the above frames but not quite the same. The lower truss tubes in pics 2,3 & 4 below look to have the trumpet mouth joinery that intersects the head and down tubes and on the other end at the seat mast and are the same diameter as the main top tube. This could be a sign of the early Schwinns...as per @hoofhearted and others' observations. The double top tubes below look to be the same diameter but not in Fordsnake's two frames, where the tubes are clearly of different sizes, so not schwinn? The question then becomes which other makers built moto frames like this with the lower top tube trumpets in the crotch up front and on the seat mast? Many did and alot of variation. And, I wonder if schwinn always used the same diameter tubes for both of the top tubes?

Last edited:
Does the crank have a drive pin for the sprocket?

I removed the sprocket via photoshop because it was an obvious misleading clue. The sprocket was a Westfield DD Indian chainring, hence, the owner believing the bike’s was a Westfield. ID'ing a bike is the sum of many factors and not the focus of just one part. Its what makes the TOC and Teen era fascinating and equally difficult, there are so many variables and nuances.

Last edited:

This thread had a lot of these motobikes. Still kind of a mystery to me. D.P Harris Snyder manufacturing was one idea...
EDF8B68A-72AD-4079-AB2D-5F0AE30BED1F.jpeg

4F0A70A7-8129-43C7-9D46-41D4CA9E53AD.jpeg

F12F5D9D-B90E-4AEC-8C72-8776D164B38D.jpeg

Those forks and truss rods look similar to the ones on the frame I found. My frame has the Westfield indicators, (collared lug on seat post, rounded fitting at rear dropouts, badge shadow/outline matches known Westfield badges, Stutz, Stormer, Syracuse) and I figured the forks came from another bike. There are similar forks on a 1919 Simmons motorbike for sale at LuxLow.

westfieldforks.jpg

Westfield head set.jpg

westfieldtrussforks.jpg

1919 simmons exelsior.jpg

Last edited:
I would say Haverford Cycle Co. I have this frame set That I picked up here on the Cabe. The only other detail other than the for and the slotted screws for the truss rods would be the cross bridge supports between the chain stays and seat stays.

IMG_20170305_105057.jpg

IMG_20170305_104654400.jpg

Maybe, maybe not. The more you look at the two original frames posted, you see they are also very different from each other. Even though they both have steep head angles, non-parallel top tubes and similar serial numbers, etc.. The fork on the above Havorford bike looks similar, but different truss ends by the axle. The two bikes in question at the top have welded ones, the havorford does not.

Pretty close....front fender has 2 braces instead of one....different rack which doesn’t mean much...on mystery bike under that red primer are areas of orange paint but is on head tube as well....no blue. Fenders have very old traces of red paint.......would be circus bike. (Orange with red fenders)....also the only Flying Mercury badge I found has vertical holes where this bike was horizontal.

Back