When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's the thing.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
I've been collecting prewar and early postwar ballooners for quite a few years. I have several bikes each, from various manufacturers including Schwinn. Schwinns seem to me to have been well built. So why then is there all this animosity among some collectors against Schwinns? Looking for straight answers here. This is not a forum for unfounded rampant Schwinn bashing, please.

Last edited:
Too common. Schwinns are like a$$holes. Everyone's got one. :p

I've always said the same about Mustangs. That's why I dig Fairlanes, Comets, Falcons, etc.

That being said, I know they are wonderful, well-built bicycles...I just choose not to collect them. Please don't take my jokes as "bashing". I'm just having a little fun with my Schwinn Fan Boy friends.

Last edited:
I get the whole thing of people wanting to not be in with the huge group of schwinn people, I don’t like stingrays because at some swaps your literally tripping over stingrays. Too me schwinns are the most worth it to build, and look the best when done. Usually easier to find parts for as well since everyone knows schwinn. I will say though, many bikes have cooler frame designs than schwinn, but I haven’t ridden them so I can’t say if they are better than schwinn or not.

Last edited:
I think for me it's because they're so well known. I've seen it lots of times where people just use the generic schwinn name for any beach cruiser. "I have a schwinn for sale" or "nice schwinn". I hear the quality is great from you guys. The prices of complete bikes and parts for builds generally would keep me away.

There are so many because they were that good.Excellent chrome for a bike,high quality parts used,etc. They are like 57 Chevys at car shows though. The name was famous worldwide and usually the first thing new collectors find. To snub them is kind of strange though.I have nothing against them and have many and will always take one when the deal is right.

For me and likely lots of others, it's not that they are not quality, it's that Schwinn is usually the first bike on lots of peoples tongues. E-Bay hasn't helped... Schwinn is usually in the description even if not at all tied to a Schwinn cycle/part.

Like someone above said Schwinn is often the gateway bike into the hobby. It was for me. A rusted, crusted, everything frozen in place 1955 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet. Got that bad boy on the road and rode the piss out of it. As I went deeper down the rabbit hole I started discovering what prewar was. Then the other brands. I love those other brands! Now I’m the Mercury guy and lovin’ every minute of it. Still wouldn’t mind having an Aerocycle or Deluxe Schwinn. Just not the $$$ tag that goes with it. :)

Back