When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's the thing.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shelby 1938:
Image result for 1938 shelby bicycle

I personally love how Schwinns look. They are beautiful. They are like belly buttons though, seems like everyone has one. Lol.... Seriously, the 1951 Hornet I had, and the 1939 Excelsior Hollywood I had were not comfortable for me to ride. Problem is two-fold: I am not the skinny woman I was when I was a Marine, and that narrower space between the seat post and gooseneck just seems too small. And my feet (size 11) do not get along very well with the ducktail on the front fender. So, I am just not very comfortable on a Schwinn. They are eye candy for me though.

I think people should collect what they like. if i had the money and space to buy bikes my purchases would be more about originality, condition and price rather than any particular brand. to me, even though the post war B-6 is my favorite bike of all time, I would never own 30 Schwinns since they are so similar unless your collection starts with TOC and goes to the 60's.

I can testify the average Joe, and even a guy like me who owned a few over the years and has an interest in all things old, has never even seen 5% of the bikes that are out there. 90%of my vintage bike knowledge has come from here over just the last few years,,, and I am old.

Schwinn wouldn’t let that cantilever design go. How many different ways was that frame decorated? It’s the look I’m after when I’m buying, but I don’t stay away from any brand. But from what I’ve seen, Schwinn had some excellent craftsmanship in their work, they have the best bottom bracket design based on the 1930s through 1950s bikes I’ve worked on. The frames alone are heavy and durable as was their plating. Just my opinion

And people bought that design for about 70 years. When the frame was discontinued the form remained. Virtually any cruiser going for the 'classic' style elements uses that triangle motif, no matter how radical the presentation. Schwinn defined the style and people expect a cruiser to look like that.

Is that yours? I assume it is. That's like the one I rode as a kid. Dad sold it to Mom before he went in the navy, WWII. He put ad in local paper, Grandad bought it for her. After WWII they met, dated, married. Dad and Grandad built our house on his farm (93 yo Mom still lives there).
Strange circumstances! It was a boys bike like that but red (could have been repainted). I just remember how well made and strong it was. I sure wish I had it now.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

that narrower space between the seat post and gooseneck just seems too small.

Agreed! And actually I misspoke (lied) when I said that I didn't like all Schwinn cantilever frames. I just remembered that I do have an early 60's Schwinn Corvette that I don't ride, for this exact reason (plus, I hate the seat....and the fact that it's a middleweight*). Even though it's a cantilever frame, I bought it because I thought it looked cool and that it would be a fun project (it was). Every so often, I think "I should sell this bike, I never ride it". I probably won't though, because I still think it looks cool and I think I'd miss seeing it (when I remember that I still have it ;)).

*I'm not without my own prejudices, now, am I?

Last edited:
Back