When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's the thing.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No graphic photo, but you hit the nail on the head again Mike.
That's what's so great about knowing people in this hobby in a metropolitan area or simply going to swap meets.
There's quite a few (almost all) high end bikes including Schwinns that I have no desire to own, but people I know, have or had some pretty rare bikes, and that gives me an opportunity to get to see some of these bikes up-close and personal.
Not seeing much head butting but I see you butt kissing.lol

My gateway bike when I got into vintage cruisers was a 1946 Schwinn DX. Loved that bike. And still love Schwinns. But much like my old cars, I will own any make as long as I like it. And I’ve owned some oddball cars. ‘51 Kaiser traveler comes to mind. Great car by the way.

Currently I’ve got a prewar Murray/Mercury, 4 prewar Shelby’s, 4 prewar Schwinns, 1 prewar CWC Western Flyer, a Monark built JC Higgins, and a couple of postwar Schwinns.
Who really cares what we collect except for ourselves.

You don’t like Schwinns, great, more parts available to me. You like Colsons, great for you as I don’t own one yet so i most likely won’t be looking for the same parts you are.

There are enough different makes and models for us all to enjoy. So why not just enjoy what you like and let others enjoy what they like.

After all, we are still playing with kids toys you know;)

Along this topic, I have a variation of this particular "Schwinn question". Why do some people consider some brand bikes to be junk based on name alone? I don't ask this regarding modern brands or even what old brands like Schwinn have become, so lets keep the thought process in the context of the early middle weight era and earlier.
My personal observation after owning hundreds of "vintage", "classic", "antique" or whatever term you may choose to describe them is that they were all pretty well made by today's standards. In fact, other than a few broken Monark frames that seem to be weak at the kickstand mount area by design, I have never owned a vintage bicycle that I considered to be significantly superior or inferior to another. Sure some chrome and paint is better than others, but I have heard people argue about their 60 year old Schwinn being "better" than someone else's 60 year old Murray built Western Flyer and I'm standing there thinking they are both pretty impressive by today's standard......
Is it because names like Huffy and Murray made junk in their later years and name recognition gets transposed to the early stuff? If so, couldn't the same be true for Schwinn?

One thing i've definitely noticed as a wide variety of bikes cross my path, Schwinn maintained a level of build after WWII where
sadly many of the other manufacturers, most of whom where making totally impressive machines before the war ended up really
cheapening the quality of their products, I could never understand how Huffman, Elgin, Colson etc couldn't continue with
innovative and well thought out and manufactured products they cranked out prior to WWII. Many of the various mfg's 50's frames
are not only ugly (again my opinion and aesthetic viewpoint) but poorly constructed, when prior to WWII they were incredible feats of craft and design.

Is that yours? I assume it is. That's like the one I rode as a kid. Dad sold it to Mom before he went in the navy, WWII. He put ad in local paper, Grandad bought it for her. After WWII they met, dated, married. Dad and Grandad built our house on his farm (93 yo Mom still lives there).
Strange circumstances! It was a boys bike like that but red (could have been repainted). I just remember how well made and strong it was. I sure wish I had it now.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
No, not mine, off the internet

For anyone who is interested, I read an excellent book on the Schwinn Bicycle Company. It’s titled “No Hands”, “The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company, An American Institution” by Judith Crown and Glenn Coleman. It provides insights into how the Schwinn Company started and how it changed as subsequent generations began running the company, ultimately causing it to fall. It also provides excellent insights int to the bicycle industry and how companies like Giant, Trek, Specialized etc got started. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is interested in vintage bicycles.

If there are " Just Too Many Schwinn's" Then why cant I find a 1938-39 Hanging cantilever tank? Obviously there aren't " TOO MANY" !!! :weary::laughing::laughing::laughing:
And the Elgin parts I was seeking at one time weren't there either. Dont even get me started on the impossibility of finding a 1937 Roadmaster Supreme at a yard sale! I like all brands, but the Art Deco style prewar bikes are my favorite as for styling. As stated above the Schwinns are definitely built among the best. And to me they just look more streamlined and sleek, not boxy and clunky like some. PS-the Bowden Spaceliner is the ugliest bike ever produced, IMO. Ride on guys and girls,

My bikes were Western Flyers when i was a kid. They were cheaper than Schwinns and my dad knew the guy that owned the Western Auto store. I had a couple of friends who had Schwinns and i envied them as their bikes were better looking and faster than mine.

Now, i can get what i want and that is more Schwinns... They are fun to ride, built well, and i have a garage full of them!

Back