When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hettrick Davy Crockett

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Karla

On Training Wheels
I am trying to find information on the Hettrick Walt Disney Davy Crockett pedal wagon. There is one post previously from the seller in Herrin, IL, this is the wagon I bought. I am struggling to find ANYTHING on this particular wagon! I mainly want to confirm the original color (red?) and the value. It is amazing the lack of info I can find on this wagon! Was it rare? Or didn’t go over well? I’m pondering on restoration.. which will be costly. I love it and want to see it restored, but it will be a lot with the possibility of no return. Thanks

41B196B1-1CFA-4E99-9259-C6DEDF0687FF.jpeg

7E395F9E-48E5-4A6A-AC0E-512108119CD9.jpeg

You're right....there's plenty of Hettrick pedal wagon photos to be found but the Davy Crockett model is a bit elusive. It most likely was a limited run as other promo trikes and bikes were, featuring TV characters such as Gene Autry and Hopalong Cassidy. I did find this one that was auctioned off years ago. If you scroll down the page there is a photo of the head badge decal with Crockett's face on it - https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-...isney-davy-crockett-tricycle-wconestoga-wagon Not sure how true the colors are in the photos.

Dave

Last edited:
If you bought this because you like it and aren't too concerned with the monetary aspect then go ahead restore and enjoy. If you bought this to sell then you may struggle to get your money back and a restoration is out of the question. While fairly uncommon these, like the Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, and Donald Duck bikes are niche collectibles. They are crossover collectibles meaning a Western/Autry/Hopalong/Disney collector is just as likely to buy one of these as a tricycle/bicycle collector. Unfortunately for the Western stuff it seems the market is dying out a bit-at least that is my perception. BTW the one listed above sold for $200 in 2010. Yours is a little rougher than that one and I'd think $100-150 might be FMV although I am no expert in riding toys. V/r Shawn

You're right....there's plenty of Hettrick pedal wagon photos to be found but the Davy Crockett model is a bit elusive. It most likely was a limited run as other promo trikes and bikes were, featuring TV characters such as Gene Autry and Hopalong Cassidy. I did find this one that was auctioned off years ago. If you scroll down the page there is a photo of the head badge decal with Crockett's face on it - https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-...isney-davy-crockett-tricycle-wconestoga-wagon Not sure how true the colors are in the photos.

Dave
Thank you! I love the head badge. Mine you can only make out part of Walt and Davy. I would think elusive would equal greater value. I bought it because it “spoke” to me.. but restoration will be $1,000. Not sure it is speaking that much!

If you bought this because you like it and aren't too concerned with the monetary aspect then go ahead restore and enjoy. If you bought this to sell then you may struggle to get your money back and a restoration is out of the question. While fairly uncommon these, like the Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, and Donald Duck bikes are niche collectibles. They are crossover collectibles meaning a Western/Autry/Hopalong/Disney collector is just as likely to buy one of these as a tricycle/bicycle collector. Unfortunately for the Western stuff it seems the market is dying out a bit-at least that is my perception. BTW the one listed above sold for $200 in 2010. Yours is a little rougher than that one and I'd think $100-150 might be FMV although I am no expert in riding toys. V/r Shawn
I did buy it because I love it... $1,000 to restore is concerning. I want to, but know I shouldn’t.

I did buy it because I love it... $1,000 to restore is concerning. I want to, but know I shouldn’t.
That tan color is the original, not red! Besides the inside of the wagon the condition doesn't look so bad. If it was mine, I would try a rust removal product or oxalic acid bath on the interior. It seems a canvas wagon cover could be made without too much trouble. I think the canvas has screen printed graphics; you can find a t-shirt screener in your area to lay-down the graphics. A good detail job on the existing paint would go a long way. Get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and try cleaning the white bars and other paint gently.

That tan color is the original, not red! Besides the inside of the wagon the condition doesn't look so bad. If it was mine, I would try a rust removal product or oxalic acid bath on the interior. It seems a canvas wagon cover could be made without too much trouble. I think the canvas has screen printed graphics; you can find a t-shirt screener in your area to lay-down the graphics. A good detail job on the existing paint would go a long way. Get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and try cleaning the white bars and other paint gently.

The tan is original??? Really??? That’s amazing. It’s so ugly. It’s currently almost a mauve/pink. I could not find a color picture. Have you seen one?? I really appreciate your help! Karla

There is a bicycle that was posted here in the past year or two in the same color. Search Davey in the search feature.
They also made the bike in white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with Brant on this one. This is not worth a $1000 resto unless it was a family heirloom where money is not a concern. If you spend the $1k you probably wind up with about a $300-350 piece tops. Do a search on OA here in the resto section--you will be amazed at the results. Re: BTW "elusive" or "rare" does not necessarily equate to $$$. Somthing must be desirable to be valuable. The rarest bike I own is among my least valuable. V/r Shawn

There is a bicycle that was posted here in the past year or two in the same color. Search Davey in the search feature.
They also made the bike in white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I saw that. I’m just not sure that’s the original color. Two different people have said red will oxidize into that tan/mauve color. Plus I found an ad for the Hettrick Davy Crockett chuckwagon. It’s black and white but description reads “flaming” red.

Back