When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi all! A original paint Sterling Westfield with Clipper tank

-
The serial number will tell you the year and ‘53 seems about right. This model came with or without spring fork. Overall looks fairly complete and original. V/r Shawn

Looks like a ladies Murray to me. Not Westfield.
Looks but Derby is on the Westfield list of badge names. I also thought at first Derby was Murray made. They were all copying each other pretty close back then. From an online site....
"The Westfield Manufacturing Co. of Westfield, MA has origins dating back to 1877 with the founding of the Pope Manufacturing Co. Many brands were manufactured under Westfield but their in-house brand was Columbia. Westfield bought many bicycle companies such as Miami who made the Flying Merkel, and Racycle among others. Some of the most desirable balloon tire bikes ever made were produced by Westfield for Sears under the Elgin brand to include the Bluebird, Skylark, and Robin. Westfield was also the primary contractor for making bicycles for Hendee/Indian Motocycle Co. until World War II. The company enjoyed postwar success but like other American companies succumbed to imports and production cost and ceased operations in 1987.
Badges: Columbia, Westfield, Elgin, Corsair, Seminole, Indian, Viking, Tribune, Derby, Fleetwing, Imperial, Crescent, Flying Merkel, Racycle, Sterling, Stormer, Rambler, Waverly"

Looks but Derby is on the Westfield list of badge names. I also thought at first Derby was Murray made. They were all copying each other pretty close back then. From an online site....
"The Westfield Manufacturing Co. of Westfield, MA has origins dating back to 1877 with the founding of the Pope Manufacturing Co. Many brands were manufactured under Westfield but their in-house brand was Columbia. Westfield bought many bicycle companies such as Miami who made the Flying Merkel, and Racycle among others. Some of the most desirable balloon tire bikes ever made were produced by Westfield for Sears under the Elgin brand to include the Bluebird, Skylark, and Robin. Westfield was also the primary contractor for making bicycles for Hendee/Indian Motocycle Co. until World War II. The company enjoyed postwar success but like other American companies succumbed to imports and production cost and ceased operations in 1987.
Badges: Columbia, Westfield, Elgin, Corsair, Seminole, Indian, Viking, Tribune, Derby, Fleetwing, Imperial, Crescent, Flying Merkel, Racycle, Sterling, Stormer, Rambler, Waverly"
Derby is not a Westfield specific badge. It is a bike sold at Pep Boys. Stores & shops would regularly have several bike manufacturers build bikes for them & attach the shop's badge. Similar to Sears who had Elgin bikes made by Westfield, Murray & Monark. There were others early on. This bike pictured is most definitely Murray built.

How's that? It was never stated that these badges were specific only to Westfield build bikes...

@Freqman1
Not a forum fighter but they omitted Derby at that site in Murray description so who is right in a world on fake history footnotes I guess. This hobby has opinions just like the vintage motorcycle forums I see. LOL! Most people don't believe it took Canadian workers to produce the first electric start Indian motorcycle in
Ontario my pal owns one and a Pope, so maybe Westfield farmed out the design to Murray?
Steve

Steve that is my site. I probably do more research in a week than a lot do all year. The company history section is only to give an overview of each company and not a comprehensive history. Once you’ve spent the money I have on references and the thousands of hours of research then maybe you’ll have an understanding. Like Mike said many companies used the same badge name. For example you can find a Cadillac badge on Schwinn, Shelby, and CWC bikes. It would be impossible for me to list every badge used by every manufacturer. Hell Barry just wrote a 300 page book--just on Schwinn badges--and that was just Volume 1! Many of these same names or companies can be found on other mfrs bikes.

Last edited:
Not a forum fighter but they omitted Derby at that site in Murray description so who is right in a world on fake history footnotes I guess. This hobby has opinions just like the vintage motorcycle forums I see. LOL! Most people don't believe it took Canadian workers to produce the first electric start Indian motorcycle in
Ontario my pal owns one and a Pope, so maybe Westfield farmed out the design to Murray?
Steve
HUH GIF.gif

See ya later your wrench is obviously bigger than mine. Step back think how welcoming your post was. Update your other site as well maybe instead of attackin mocking a visitor offering reference pics. Now I know they will probably just be stolen for some nickle and dime ebay item. Later enjoy your fence post here. You set a great example.
Posting gifs is grade nine disrespecting, forums back to lurking.

Back