When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi my Grandpap has a 1883 American Star bicycle

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool! Show interest and maybe he’ll give it to you. Valuable or not, your Grandads bike is priceless!!! Especially one like this. Never let it go except to maybe your son or daughter and on and on...... keep us updated! Just my thought. Welcome to the CABE. Anthony

Thanks anders my grandpap is looking to sell it eventually hes not really a bike guy and neither is anyone in the family he has an 100 acre farm where his sister lived before she died like 30 years ago and he and my grandma built there own house on the land and it was in the milkhouse.

Good luck no matter which direction you go. If you want to post on the CABE for sale you must list a price (no "highest offer"), pics (good ones please), and the location in the "For Sale" section. V/r Shawn

Thanks Freqman don't no what were going to do with it or what he wants to do with it already got a guy thats interested hes has 3 restored ones and didnt even no about the 1881 version thats how i no this is super rare piece. Alot of people say stars arent rare i agree most arent but the first year version is very rare i doubt if there were even 100 made that year and who knows how many of them are even around now.

Thanks anders my grandpap is looking to sell it eventually hes not really a bike guy and neither is anyone in the family he has an 100 acre farm where his sister lived before she died like 30 years ago and he and my grandma built there own house on the land and it was in the milkhouse.
if it was me then I would show interest in passing on the family history of the bike and try to purchase the bike from him. He would probably appreciate that. A photo of him with the bike would be great. the history and story of the bike is worth a million bucks. Again just my thoughts, best of luck!

if it was me then I would show interest in passing on the family history of the bike and try to purchase the bike from him. He would probably appreciate that. A photo of him with the bike would be great. the history and story of the bike is worth a million bucks. Again just my thoughts, best of luck!

I can def get a photo with him next to it..We have a small family and im not the only grandson so he wouldnt give it to me like that especially something this valuable when theres other grandchildren in the family and he has 2 daughters. I think he wants to sell it to someone who appreciates it weather that be the guy were talking to now or on here or an auction and he wanted to split the money he gets for it with everyone in the family. Its his choice im just helping him get the word out because like i said hes almost 80 and he dont have a cell phone or internet so i told him i would help him out with it.

Last edited:
Anders from the way it sounds it was his Grandfather's sister or the people that owned the farm before her.
V/r
Sean

Hello all .... the Star was designed by G W Pressey in 1880....H B Smith began production of them in 1881 ....they were made till at least 1894 ....total production about 7400 ...split among the silent and clicker drive...please see below for chart with serial #'s and production numbers ..taken from H B Smith court documents ...so it's the real thing no guessing ...

you have an American Star .... later style frame ( oval step ) ...1885 -6 ( best guess) ...you'll find the serial # stamped on the rear hub near the oil hole ..also on the rear axle when you pull it out ...but I would not go there if you don't have to

Yes all Stars have / had a brake ....no brake you are in trouble ...

Stars are great fun ..to learn to ride and to master riding them ...

a few decent photos ( in focus) would help

Cheers Carey

George Washington Pressey 10-26-80 1st pat.jpg

production figures 2.jpg

Star ad 1885.jpg

IMG_8277.JPG

Wasp with all do respect i no for a fact its a 1881 first of they came with no brakes the first year they were made also theres are rivits in the spokes that also was only in the first year they were made its not a later model trust me that is the only year 1881 were it didnt come with brakes ive done my research and like i said thats the only year it came with rivits in the spokes

And from what i found out calling the musuem today the first year they were made they didnt come with a serial number this dont have a serial number on it. they made very very very few of them for that reason starting 1882 they added brakes and changed the spokes

Hello all .... the Star was designed by G W Pressey in 1880....H B Smith began production of them in 1881 ....they were made till at least 1894 ....total production about 7400 ...split among the silent and clicker drive...please see below for chart with serial #'s and production numbers ..taken from H B Smith court documents ...so it's the real thing no guessing ...

you have an American Star .... later style frame ( oval step ) ...1885 -6 ( best guess) ...you'll find the serial # stamped on the rear hub near the oil hole ..also on the rear axle when you pull it out ...but I would not go there if you don't have to

Yes all Stars have / had a brake ....no brake you are in trouble

Stars are great fun ..to learn to ride and to master riding them ...

a few decent photos ( in focus) would help

Cheers Carey

View attachment 857586

View attachment 857590

View attachment 857598

View attachment 857599

Thats a false statement 1881 model the first year they were made didnt come with brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back