When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi my Grandpap has a 1883 American Star bicycle

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so much about rare. There are quite a few bikes in the game where only a handful exist. These bikes will out-value the Star. The Star was in it's day relatively popular, so more than a handful exist today. My grandson just rode his first 26 inch balloon tire tank bike with a rack and fenders and a light. He loved the horn. The lay person couldn't tell you if he was on a Huffy or an Aerocycle, but he got compliments. People love these bikes. The Huffy finds its way into the dump. The Aerocycle...Well, just ask Val. The Aero is an icon, PERIOD. Not for sale. Like Bond's Aston Martin DB5. Not for sale. I remember dumping a VW 23 window Safari....

Got a ? for you im almost 100% positive he has and 1881 american star first year ever made which i no has a lot of value do you no how many were made the first year? i no it was a small company in new jersey i dont believe they even made 100 of them in the first year. I no that because it dont have brakes and the first year american star ever made a bike they made them without brakes until 1882 when people were complaining.

Or does anyone know how many were made the first year i cant find any information or any 1881 bikes online in either antique bike shops or bike museums the earliest ive seen was like 1884

IMG_0005.jpg
The vast collection of bicycles at the Bicycle Museum of
America is made all the more impressive by the
tremendous amount of cycling-related items and
materials that accompany the displays.
Among some of the most notable bicycles is an 1816 Draisine, which is one of only six that are known to exist in the world. In addition to that, the museum also has an 1850 Ward Quadricycle, an 1870 Boneshaker, an 1881 American Star, an 1887 American Safety, an 1891 Victor Light Roadster, an 1897 Waverly, an 1898 Old Hickory, and so many others.

View attachment 857261The vast collection of bicycles at the Bicycle Museum of
America is made all the more impressive by the
tremendous amount of cycling-related items and
materials that accompany the displays.
Among some of the most notable bicycles is an 1816 Draisine, which is one of only six that are known to exist in the world. In addition to that, the museum also has an 1850 Ward Quadricycle, an 1870 Boneshaker, an 1881 American Star, an 1887 American Safety, an 1891 Victor Light Roadster, an 1897 Waverly, an 1898 Old Hickory, and so many others.

Been there done that

My orginial original post i thought it was an 1883 but i believe its an 1881 the first year they were made i was asking if anyone new how many were made in 1881 i no there was not many because they didnt come with brakes the first year and they didnt make alot for that reason until 1882 when they made it with brakes

Im going to find out tomorrow when i call a few shops and museums to find out i just thought maybe 1 of you guys maybe new cause u cant find to much information on this bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back