When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi-Rise/Apehanger/tall handlebar(s)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ogre

Finally riding a big boys bike
It seems there are many variants of the classic "hi rise" or "apehanger" handlebar as found on many brands of muscle bikes of the 1960s & 1970s. Wald offers several distinct model numbers of this style, but stock photographs currently available on various vendor websites are generally unhelpful in my search. I prefer the upright riding position of tall and wide "Schwinn Fastback" (not parallel Krate) style of handlebar for my Schwinn cruisers, and am confused about how to order new pieces without prior physical inspection. To date, I've procured them from yard finds and project piles, but locally, that well is drying up.

What is the agreed-upon method of measure for this type of handlebar? Can someone offer online buying advice for a non-restorer?

2007_05_034.JPG

IMG_20180524_165258.jpg

IMG_20171006_104316.jpg

""What is the agreed-upon method of measure for this type of handlebar? Can someone offer online buying advice for a non-restorer?""

if i were looking for bars like that I would measure them with my trained eye. those 3 all look good to me.

i think you have to see handlebars in person. The angle the photograph is taken from makes drastic changes. Measurements would be better than nothing but if you haven't seen them it is going to be a crapshoot.

Top bar is Wald 8069 recently purchased via Amazon, bottom is advertised as "right style for 1968 and 1969" as purchased via eBay. Neither truly match the shape of true 1960s Schwinn or other makers' "hi-rise"/"muscle bike" handlebar.

The search continues!

IMG_20210619_111042602.jpg

Let this thread be a warning to future collectors that all wide apehanger handlebars are not the same

shipping these behemoth control units is cost-prohibitive so "crapshoot" is the order of the day

know that no contemporary options have fit the bill, thus far

Not the same, but available here, for awhile now.
1650452320260.png

"Blessed are the Upright."😎

Yeah, most simple statement would be don't buy anything new. Exactly zero manufacturers make a handlebar to precisely match that of the 60s and 70s. I'd imagine Wald has long since lost the original Tooling/data to reproduce them and have no desire to tweak current Tooling to match the old. Calibrated eye is about the only way to go...attend your local swap meets for a source.

Measuring them is tricky, I'd imagine you'd have to aim for the start of the bend and I would seriously doubt that sellers could reliably measure exactly the same as whatever your chosen method.

Back