When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi There!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2NUTZ

On Training Wheels
Hi there, I picked this J.C Higgins bicycle up at the garbage dump a couple years ago. Can't seem to find another one like it online. Any ideas? I am going to make a rat rod out of it and put a 2 stroke kit on. It has a unique lion fender emblem I haven't seen on any other bicycle.
Thanks
Mark

IMG_20190721_125354.jpg

IMG_20190721_125302.jpg

IMG_20190721_125228.jpg

IMG_20190721_125236.jpg

IMG_20190721_125254.jpg

IMG_20190721_125308.jpg

British imports may have been big in the 1950’s; the JCH label may have been discontinued sometime in the 1960’s.

Looks similar to many British made bicycles for the export (USA) market.
Probably Hercules or Raleigh built.

JC Higgins is a Sears bike. They sold bikes from many sources over the years. I read the other day the last year for the name was 1963. No doubt Sears wanted to compete with British bikes and just imported some real ones. If you search around for number stampings, you might even find a 3 digit number that refers to the maker, followed by the catalog number, which in some cases may allow you to find it in an old Sears catalog and narrow down the year that way. Lists of the 3 digit codes for the manufacturers Sears contracted with can be found online. Sears definitely had numbers like that stamped in their American built bikes, and probably this British bike too. The numbers were used for sourcing spare parts, and can be found on many products they sold, not just bikes.

-----

one simple check you could make is the thread of steerer and shell

it will either be 24TPI or 26TPI

this will rule in/out specific producers

---

between the two manufacturers mentioned by @dnc1 above would lean toward Hercules...

...although dnc1 knows more anent Brit product than i could learn in several lifetimes 😉

-----

Last edited:
Back