When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi Ya Watha

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Misterclassic

Look Ma, No Hands!
I dug out my Hiawatha 26” from the corn crib on the farm where I grew up. History: I received the bike new in 1967, give or take. My dad bought it through a Gambles store that my uncle managed. See the serial # below, can anyone tell me what I have as far as mfg date, etc? The bike itself has been pretty much stripped, no fenders, the tank is gone, just the frame, fork, handlebar, chain guard, chain and wheels. It has the Bendix RB2 coaster brake. I want to get it rolling again but curious as to the age, etc. Thanks in advance!

A94D5ACD-7756-415C-BF04-F8E217A752EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reminds me of my only 1960's middleweight, a black Murray, WG3 808A ~270000 serial, also presumed to be a Gambles Hiawatha; (traditional cantilever frame).

I believe that the cantilever tubes attached to the sides of the down tube (versus the top/rear of down tube), may have been a design change from the later-half of the 1960's .

Last edited:
Pics of the whole bike, especially one from the drive side, and one of the badge if it is there might narrow things down.

Pics of the whole bike, especially one from the drive side, and one of the badge if it is there might narrow things down.
The badge is gone too. The seat and pedals most likely are replacements, sorry there isn’t more to go on. As to the age of the bike, I can’t remember the exact year I got it, I’m just guessing, plus it couldn’t have been expensive or Dad wouldn’t have bought it. There’s probably little value other than sentimental.

D3691F4A-BE2D-4FB0-B543-E63EC6C6718F.jpeg

B64CDF75-DD0A-42E3-93A9-E8114FAB4B3B.jpeg

The badge is gone too. The seat and pedals most likely are replacements, sorry there isn’t more to go on. As to the age of the bike, I can’t remember the exact year I got it, I’m just guessing, plus it couldn’t have been expensive or Dad wouldn’t have bought it. There’s probably little value other than sentimental.

View attachment 1665305

View attachment 1665306
There is also the front plastic piece to the tank. It wasn’t high quality, even when new.

01F58517-98A3-4EE0-A1AA-3C14D9C43F22.jpeg

Could the year be much earlier, like 1963? Here's the 63 catalog, picture #10

It sure does look like it! I remember the first thing I did was take off the front & rear racks.
As to the age, the Gambles store was in a small rural Nebraska town and maybe they were shipped the bikes that hadn’t sold elsewhere. Just speculation.

Great detective work!

It sure does look like it! I remember the first thing I did was take off the front & rear racks.
As to the age, the Gambles store was in a small rural Nebraska town and maybe they were shipped the bikes that hadn’t sold elsewhere. Just speculation.

Great detective work!
If it had the Hiawatha tank nose, it was sold by that store chain. Looks like Murray dropped the twin top bars to a single top tube in 1968. Here's a catalog page from 1961, so the plastic tank nose was new that year.

1658255441904.png

Last edited:
Back