When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha help

-
K

kruser

Hi, sorry, haven't had a chance to take a pic yet. My husband just found an old bicycle. It's completely rusty so impossible to ID for us amateurs. It looks very similar to the 1939 Hiawatha Arrow(?) but doesn't have the "bodied" crossbar like that one. We saw another, a 1956 Hiawatha- this had a double crossbar like ours but it didn't have the curved fender supports that ours does- they curve like the fender supports of the 1939. Can you tell me where I can find some pics for comparison? Thanks. Also, the innertubes- they're real rubber- the old red stuff- but actual rubber, not a complilation- does that date it? There are two holes stamped in the front fender where something was probably mounted or affixed but we have no idea if it was a light or a head or a plate. Trying to get a pic for ya-- Sorry I'm so uninformed. :rolleyes:

Tires are Allstate but we have no idea if they are original.

l_579c04348fabf806b5ef0e2be5689ab1-1.jpg

Okay it's very similar to this but it doesn't have the cover on the crossbar and it doesn't have the rack in back- the seat on it has the ring in the front- again, sorry for the amateurishness if that's even a word...

I guess that's what I mean- the tank- and no, it has no tank.

Where can I look for a serial number? altho I think we've looked this over pretty carefully already.

The chain also has a long link and then a short link and the long link appears to be the one that meets the sprocket. :confused:

I guess that's what I mean- the tank- and no, it has no tank.

Where can I look for a serial number? altho I think we've looked this over pretty carefully already.

The chain also has a long link and then a short link and the long link appears to be the one that meets the sprocket. :confused:

I got this question from someone but I don't see it posted here- ???- I'm lost I think.

Here is the message that has just been posted:
What do you mean by "bodied crossbar"? Does it have a tank?

So what does your bike share with the picture? same frame, handlebars,chainguard?

Basic Information you may find useful

The cover on the crossbar is commonly referred to as a "tank" as many early ones were modeled after period motorcycle gas tanks; and regarding the following statement:

"The chain also has a long link and then a short link and the long link appears to be the one that meets the sprocket."

The reason as to why early bicycles had these chains is unknown to me, but I know that these chains are referred to as "skip tooth". Most bicycle manufacturing companies elminated skip tooth bicycle chains and hub drivers by the mid or late 1950's. Tires: I believe that Allstate tires were sold by Sears & Roebuck Co. (and were commonly used on many Sears bicycles; Jc Higgins Bicycles) and are probably not original I would guess. Best of luck with your identification :D and congratulations on finding a neat bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if the fender braces are curved like that, it could be a Shelby built bike, like the 39 pictured. But we can't really guess until you get the pics posted! ~Adam

Back