When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha Identification for a Newbie!

-
B

Berndog

Hello All,
I was recently given this Hiawatha bicycle from a friend. I'm new to the Vintage bike realm and was wondering if it is worth restoring. From the research I've done so far, I think it is an early to mid sixties Hiawatha but I am not sure exactly of the year or model. There are no Gambles markings on it like most of the others I've seen. It has 2 little lights on each side of the front badge coming out of the tank. The serial # is WG 3*908A 870184 found on the lower back frame. If someone has some insight on this bike let me know.

Attachments

• P8250014.jpg
    P8250014.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 434
  • P8250015.jpg
    P8250015.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 297
  • P8250007.jpg
    P8250007.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 319
  • P8250012.jpg
    P8250012.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 283
  • P8250008.jpg
    P8250008.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 290
Welcome to the forum! Your bike was built by Murray in the early-mid 60s. That looks like a Bendix red band coaster hub, which was superceded by the RB-2 in 1963. It's a neat bike, well designed, and a smooth ride. Not worth a whole lot, most ladies' bikes aren't. I'd just clean it up & ride it!:)

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought after doing some more reading. I saw a picture of a Western Flyer that looked identical. I think it was in Barry's Bikes gallery. Were these bikes generically labeled for different companies?

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought after doing some more reading. I saw a picture of a Western Flyer that looked identical. I think it was in Barry's Bikes gallery. Were these bikes generically labeled for different companies?

Yes, Murray built bikes for Sears, Western Auto, Gamble's Dept. Store, among others. The bikes were similar, with decals and badging being the primary differences.

Adam -

When you say this bike isn't "worth a whole lot" - that can be pretty relative. I'm a newbie here and have a friend who is looking for a value to a very similar bike. Is $25 not a lot, $150, or $2,000?? Thanks!

Adam -

When you say this bike isn't "worth a whole lot" - that can be pretty relative. I'm a newbie here and have a friend who is looking for a value to a very similar bike. Is $25 not a lot, $150, or $2,000?? Thanks!

Typically, I don't like to say one specific number. But, if a bike like this was on ebay, and in really good shape, it might get close to $100. In fact, there was a similar JC Higgins that ended yesterday, and I believe it only got up to $36. Because people bidding there are looking at bike + shipping, I think in that case, it was $65. So, it was really a $100ish bike for them. The shipping costs vary so much because Fed Ex, UPS, and the USPS all have different rates and allowances for weight and box dimensions. Now, if you're selling a bike locally on craigslist or something, different story. But cl prices don't go as high as ebay in many cases. A bike like that around here in NC might sell for 50 or 60, or it might get relisted over & over again, and finally go for $30. It's a very complicated issue! I hope this helps you a bit! And, welcome to the forum!

Adam-
The bike we're looking at is not nearly as nice as the one pictured above. In fact it's a bit rusty and missing the seat... Seller is asking $25 (locally), which I figure you aren't going to find one cheaper unless it were given to you. Sounds like it'd be a waste of time to try and fix it up to sell it if it would only fetch $50-60 - although somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay, and perhaps someone will love it! I was thinking we could get $100 after its rolling smoothly, without any other major restoration. Do you think that's out of line?

Adam-

PS: thanks for the help and taking the time to answer some questions! :)

Ha! Let's see how many posts I can put up in a 5 min span... :)

The bike were looking at is actually posted on this site, feel free to add any future comments under that posting. Not sure how to imbed the link while on my phone, but you'll see it if you search the username:

weinerhunt

Thanks again for your help Adam!!

Adam-
The bike we're looking at is not nearly as nice as the one pictured above. In fact it's a bit rusty and missing the seat... Seller is asking $25 (locally), which I figure you aren't going to find one cheaper unless it were given to you. Sounds like it'd be a waste of time to try and fix it up to sell it if it would only fetch $50-60 - although somethings only worth what someone is willing to pay, and perhaps someone will love it! I was thinking we could get $100 after its rolling smoothly, without any other major restoration. Do you think that's out of line?
Well B, $25 is a good price for that. But $100 would probably be a stretch. The tank and rack are from another bike, or someone painted them green. The correct light should say "Hiawatha" vertically, between the lights. A decent seat will run $15 at least. And those painted rims are hard to get nice looking without painting them. It'd be a fair amount of work, which would be fine if you're looking to build a bike for your lady! But as a moneymaking venture, it's a wash at best. Even a valuable 30s bike, by the time you buy all the correct parts, chrome plating, and pro paint, it's still about a wash! Most of us do it because we love working on bikes, and what we make off them goes toward parts for our 'keepers'! Now, if you found a complete deluxe ladies bike like that, with chrome fenders and rims that'll clean up, and decent original paint for 25, you'd do alright! But those bikes don't come along everyday, especially for cheap! I don't mean to discourage you, it is a fun hobby, just not an especially profitable one! (And the exception to that is selling parts on ebay, along with the occasional nice original bike, there is $ in that).

Back