When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha is it a Shelby and or a CWC

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Been saving pics with serial #'s of Shelby bikes vetted here the last year or so and JJ's was one of them. He posted his bikes' number when stripping it down. While I have not asked permission to post others numbers, I have assumed owners would be ok with it...If not, let me know. This one is significant because (I can't count-not 12 but 22 numbers off) they are so close it HAS to add some clarity to this mystery. We need more like these two..

Been saving pics with serial #'s of Shelby bikes vetted here the last year or so and JJ's was one of them. He posted his bikes' number when stripping it down. While I have not asked permission to post others numbers, I have assumed owners would be ok with it...If not, let me know. This one is significant because (I can't count-not 12 but 22 numbers off) they are so close it HAS to add some clarity to this mystery. We need more like these two..
You are free to use mine

Just found this digging through some old computer files. How accurate? I don't know, but it seems legit

Shelby.jpg

If this was accurate, then the bike in question would be a 1939, before it's fork was made available. I have not seen any
"A frames. "D" "E" "I", "J", "O", "Q" or "S" frames YET either. There are over-stamped anomalies and a few weird ones, but they are pretty consistent for the most part. The above list claims "A" is 1937 (A.Sturm...A=39?below). I have never seen an "A" frame. No examples yet. If "A" is 1937 or 6 or 8 for that matter, you should see many frames., right? But no examples when Shelby was making nearly half of all the bikes sold? Below is a link to my list by frame type. Not shown on the linked list is whether the badge, fork or tank was intact although the complete list does include that info as well as whether the downtube was curved or straight. If your frame serial number is not on the below linked list, feel free to provide it!

Shelby-badged Serial Numbers-Prewar | Classic Balloon Tire Bicycles 1933-1965 | The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange (thecabe.com)

Last edited:
If this was accurate, then the bike in question would be a 1939, before it's fork was made available. I have not seen any
"A frames. "D" "E" "I" or "J" frames either. The above list claims "A" is 1937. I have never seen an "A" frame. No examples yet.
This suggests(so far) that no "A" frames were made during a time when Shelby was making nearly half of all the bikes sold?

However, the code is definitely bunk.

I believe that the 1st half of the Schwank list is way off; the 2nd half might be closer, if close is defined as within a few years?

And, if there are no A's or B's to reconcile, that may make the decoding easier.

Last edited:
There is debate seen here on the Cabe in other threads whether the Shock Ease was actually made available in 1940 or 39, and that 39 was the advertisement year and patent year but not so sure about actually delivering a bike with one in 39. Somewhat unclear, just like the numbers.
While your claim may or may not be true about the exact minute the shock-ease fork landed on a bike/frame displayed on a dealer floor,
it is not the most relevant piece of the puzzle or discussion regarding Shelby frames and serial numbers sir Saladmaster! Many shockease forks are on many frame types with many different serial number letters. I have this info on my more complete list. It may or may not help crack the code. Add your bikes to the list!
AS. Interesting manipulation/interpretation of the Swank guess..

Last edited:
Back