When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha "what is it" question

-

MULE SKINNER

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked this jewel up a while back and have just now gotten around to putting it on the stand and looking it over real good.I know it's a Hiawatha cause the badge says so (genius me right?).It has some numbers stamped on the bottom of the badge (45 WGG 24 1057).There are also some numbers on the bottom of the BB shell (A58957 540),serial numbers I assume.Other than that I don't know diddle squat about it.It does have horizontal dropouts with chain tensioners.The red pain on top looks like it was lovingly applied with a mop.It has silver underneath it showing through the various scratches.I got the matching forks with it along with some fenders and a rear rack but I'm not sure they are original to the frame.Any help with more precise ID would be appreciated.I was kinda thinking of making a track racer type of bike out of it,just bolt on mods.Thanks for any help.

DSC02404.JPG

DSC02405.JPG

DSC02406.JPG

DSC02409.JPG

1954, built by Cleveland Welding. Post pics of the other parts and I can tell you if they are correct.
Thanks.I'll try to get some pics of the other parts tomorrow posted tomorrow.Can I ask how you deciphered the info to figure out it was a '54 made by Cleveland Welding?

The "54" and the "C" which, if stamped better would have a small "w" in it as shown in the pic (1952) below. V/r Shawn

Roadmaster serial ex.jpg

The '54 bike may also be known as an AMF.
In later years, these bikes had the horizontal rear drop-outs (shown), and a wedge-type seat post (separate clamp not shown).

The '54 bike may also be known as an AMF.
In later years, these bikes had the horizontal rear drop-outs (shown), and a wedge-type seat post (separate clamp not shown).
I think this bike had a wedge type seat post as there are two small "slits" in the top of the seat post but not long enough for a compression type clamp as they are only about 1/8" deep.Thanks for the info.

The wedge type seatpost came a couple years after this. This frame takes a solid 5/8 post. You are missing the seat post clamp.

The wedge type seatpost came a couple years after this. This frame takes a solid 5/8 post. You are missing the seat post clamp.
Right on.I was just going by the size of the "slits" in the top of the seat post tube.It's cool either way as I intend to fabricate a "laid back" seat post for it.I'll either find a clamp that works or make one.Good info,thank you.

Back