When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha

-

Fred Green

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello All,

I just picked up this Hiawatha at a local antique shop. The front light has been removed and the wrong tires were put on it. The paint is solid and original besides some serious sun fade on the rear fender. I am not familiar with Hiawathas and would like to know how to date it. It had the prewar style rear wheel slots but no skip tooth sprocket. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Fred
Sparta

IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7736.JPG

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7738.JPG

IMG_7739.JPG

IMG_7740.JPG

IMG_7741.JPG

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7749.JPG

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7754.JPG

I agree it looks faint but after the serial number look to see for two numbers something like “54” followed by “ACw”. This would make it a 1954. The chainring and wheels have been replaced. V/r Shawn

Freqman1,

Thanks for that info. Are chain rings for this model hard to find?

Fred
Sparta

Freqman1,

Thanks for that info. Are chain rings for this model hard to find?

Fred
Sparta
No but I caution you against spending any money on this bike unless it is something you intend to keep. The chainguard, which is not correct, may be worth more than the entire bike and I'm only talking about $50 or so. In order to change out to the correct chain ring, which is a 1" pitch (skip tooth), you will have to change the sprocket as well. V/r Shawn

Thanks again for all the info. I will be putting on new tires and tubes and riding her for a while. Thanks again.

Fred
Sparta.

Thanks again for all the info. I will be putting on new tires and tubes and riding her for a while. Thanks again.

Fred
Sparta.
I'm not sure but it looks like yours has the "ACw" stamp after the serial number. For a number starting with "H", I believe that makes your bike a 1951, if I'm reading Phil Marshall's chart right. The letters are small, and my eyes aren't what they used to be.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-s-n-project.2705/page-22

Oilit,

Thanks for the additional info. New tires go on today and we take her out for a ride.

Fred
Sparta

Back