When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins disappointment

-

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up a mostly complete Higgins with a cool bee-hive springer. I though it might be easy to bring her back to life. I had never ridden one of these before and was excited to get started.This is how I found it:

IMG_5019[1].JPG

Not sure what is right and what is wrong, I reviewed many google Image pics. I thought I knew what the rear fender and rack looked like.
IMG_5579[1].JPG

I found a similar peaked fender and set about to get a decent rattle can paint match.
IMG_5582[1].JPG

Tried a few "antiquing" tricks...

IMG_5583[1].JPG

I noted that in some of the pics, the rack was frame color with cool white bump outs
IMG_5584[1].JPG

Even though I do not think the rack should have the reflector lens holes, I was pretty happy to have found one right away. When I bolted it back together it looked pretty good even with the paint being a bit too red.

IMG_5573[1].JPG

So I get all excited to ride this beast...

IMG_5572[1].JPG

and when I do, the front bearings tighten up on the wheel because of the springer action. I take it apart and put it back 10 times and it works a little then the same thing all over again.

Then the rear hub starts to "miss" engaging and gets worse and worse.

IMG_5571[1].JPG

So I start tweeking and lubricating, loosening and tightening and the front end is all wibbly and it feels like the moment just before my rear wheel came off of my high school beetle and passed me bouncing down the street.

How the heck do you attach the front fender stays? It cant go on the axle, can it? Wouldn't that inhibit the springer? Is that even the correct fender? Did someone add the springer in the past? Am I missing correct bushings and shoulder bolts? Does anyone know the scrap value?

I have parked it between the garbage can and the recycling bin. Wednesday is Garbage day. Recycling is next week. Let the bugger sweat it out.
If I cool down, I may play some more with it next weekend.

Today was tough even before this restofest. My old motorbike broke down 30 miles into a 120 mile trip.

IMG_5570[1].JPG

Why do I love old things???

Jim

I don't understand that set up. Looks like the front fender braces should be attached to the stationary fork ends, not the pivoting/moving axle. That looks all screwed up.

Ahhh, here's tinkers bike. Front fender brace attached to the end of the fork. But the rear brace moves up and down? Dang, how weird is that engineering. Your braces look all screwed up to me, but I've never owned one of these

032-jpg.jpg

Another one.........

img_2942-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I think you are going to have to go fenderless on this one. It looks like the front fender is for a middle weight. It’s suppose to have the bottom brace that wraps on the outside and is long enough to reach the fork pivot bolts. Also, the hub cone nuts need to be held in place while you tighten the axle nuts and it would be best if you place an additional axle nut to bind with IMO. I bet the rear hub isn’t working as described because your transfer spring is busted. I don’t like musselman hubs. Here’s are some pics of mine:

40942E8F-217C-4800-A51D-37B5A3AD29E2.jpeg

7586EF63-7918-4363-8370-23BEF897346F.jpeg

7DE68035-E33B-4C0C-99C4-CFFBB6DF064D.jpeg

C2216142-5D0E-4B8A-AFD5-44E1EB720FDA.jpeg

7487BD62-9977-4F7D-93F0-2BC75829A9D2.jpeg

Last edited:
The front fender stays in place but the rear brace moves up and down. The arms of the bracket should not strike the fork, the setup is wide and clears the fork.

That bike was made between 1954-55 (...as I’m thumbing through the catalog). Your fork looks like it is for a different year.

789AE907-13A0-4CEB-B7CF-E7D40C5FE833.jpeg

Definitely not a fan of these at all, worked on a few this season for a friend. Even with new shouldered bolts and everything positioned to where it’s supposed to be, somewhat loose and sloppy to me. Just my opinion, not a springer fan.

Back