When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins disappointment

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I never realized until reading this that these Murray springers (beehive, X53 style, and rattrap) all rely on the back fender brace wrapping around the outside of the fender so it can flex with the rocker. Don't know how I missed that.

image.png

I can't help you but I have been pondering the same quandary. Most of this stuff really was junk when it was new... wicked cool looking, but still, junk.
I think we've all had that thought. "Junk" is a little harsh, but it fits the stress it sometimes takes to keep old cars, motorcycles and bicycles rolling. I gave up on old Harleys for the reason of more work then riding time. Only problem with people like us is it's in our blood to save and enjoy old stuff and in the end it's what we live for. A footnote is it's amazing when you get frustrated with something and you let it sit for a while, when you get back to it, sometimes it seems to make it obvious to you what you needed to do !

I picked up a mostly complete Higgins with a cool bee-hive springer. I though it might be easy to bring her back to life. I had never ridden one of these before and was excited to get started.This is how I found it:

View attachment 883717

Not sure what is right and what is wrong, I reviewed many google Image pics. I thought I knew what the rear fender and rack looked like.
View attachment 883728

I found a similar peaked fender and set about to get a decent rattle can paint match.View attachment 883731

Tried a few "antiquing" tricks...

View attachment 883736

I noted that in some of the pics, the rack was frame color with cool white bump outsView attachment 883739

Even though I do not think the rack should have the reflector lens holes, I was pretty happy to have found one right away. When I bolted it back together it looked pretty good even with the paint being a bit too red.

View attachment 883747

So I get all excited to ride this beast...

View attachment 883750

and when I do, the front bearings tighten up on the wheel because of the springer action. I take it apart and put it back 10 times and it works a little then the same thing all over again.

Then the rear hub starts to "miss" engaging and gets worse and worse.

View attachment 883752

So I start tweeking and lubricating, loosening and tightening and the front end is all wibbly and it feels like the moment just before my rear wheel came off of my high school beetle and passed me bouncing down the street.

How the heck do you attach the front fender stays? It cant go on the axle, can it? Wouldn't that inhibit the springer? Is that even the correct fender? Did someone add the springer in the past? Am I missing correct bushings and shoulder bolts? Does anyone know the scrap value?

I have parked it between the garbage can and the recycling bin. Wednesday is Garbage day. Recycling is next week. Let the bugger sweat it out.
If I cool down, I may play some more with it next weekend.

Today was tough even before this restofest. My old motorbike broke down 30 miles into a 120 mile trip.

View attachment 883757

Why do I love old things???

Jim
Nice bathtub! Check your front hub.. might be missing locknuts on axle ?

Back