When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins disappointment

-
I think you are going to have to go fenderless on this one. It looks like the front fender is for a middle weight. It’s suppose to have the bottom brace that wraps on the outside and is long enough to reach the fork pivot bolts. Also, the hub cone nuts need to be held in place while you tighten the axle nuts and it would be best if you place an additional axle nut to bind with IMO. I bet the rear hub isn’t working as described because your transfer spring is busted. I don’t like musselman hubs. Here’s are some pics of mine:

View attachment 883829

View attachment 883830

View attachment 883831

View attachment 883833

View attachment 883834
Great shots! I should be able to make improvements with all the close ups. Thanks!

That is pretty wild,,, and it came factory on that one?

Pretty close

DED09D07-B579-485B-86C6-F340D51E736D.jpeg

It sure is! Thanks!
Jim I might be wrong but, I think the correct fender stay has mounting holes large enough to allow them to pivot on the shoulder bolt's shank. The posted pictures are excellent. So is the pic of the drawings.
As for the rear hub, you might get lucky and find its full of dried out grease. Or as another caber mentioned it's failed.. They were not strong hubs... Pull the rear wheel and tear into it.. and don't give up on this bike.. it might surprise you!

I can't help you but I have been pondering the same quandary. Most of this stuff really was junk when it was new... wicked cool looking, but still, junk.

It also helps when you have the correct parts, my 1952 J.C Higgins Color Flow fit together perfectly and rides like a dream.

Don't be discouraged. You get it set up right, with the correct Higgens front brace, it will be a fine bike. As far as your mechanical problems go, remember these bikes are 70 years old. That springer came out the same year I was born, and my joints are worn too! Have fun.

Back