When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins Flightliner restoration

-
A

Autocycle38

Starting on a higgins flightliner I recently picked up. Unfortunately a lot of the chrome is in bad shape and it needs a repaint. Still missing the original seat and pedals if anybody's got those. Otherwise its complete and the metal under the chrome and paint isn't in bad shape. I live right near a chrome shop so I'm gonna try to work out a deal with them to do all the buffing and labor myself. The original chrome plate on these things is just not the best of quality. If anybody makes decals I might also need a couple decals. The ones that go on either side of the fork. I'll upload some pics soon.

-Tom

SOunds like me! I just picked up a mid-50's(?) Flightliner. it's complete, even original tires, and unrestored.
The paint is shot and the chrome needs redone. Any info or tips would be appreciated.
It's always better to learn from someone else's mistakes...

abike-1.jpg

abike1-1.jpg

bike2-1.jpg

I would argue your paint being shot. From the pics it looks like it's in decent shape. It's only original once, so if you can clean it up a bit I would say leave it.

I finished up my bike today, its my first try at restoring one, i am just using it as a rider. Sulley

002-4.gif

this is what i started with, i have been told its a 1960 Flightliner.
1958Higgins.gif

Your in luck, we just happin to have sunshine today here in NY, i will take some pictures out side. Sulley

001-5.gif

Last edited:
Beautiful job! Fyi for FL lovers, it was introduced in 1958, and changed from the original swept v chainguard to the smooth chrome and white guard for 1960 and later.

60 it is, thanks, i did pick up a chain guard that is different from mine and it had red Flightliner lettering with a wing of some sort above it. Sulley

B8o3BegCWkKGrHqEOKpYEyjCy34BM3qGJw-7Q0_12.gif

Last edited:
One more thing, the springer front end like on mine and the other one in this thread, were they an option or certine years, sorry for all the questions im am very new to this. Thanks again. Sulley

Back