When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins rear hub rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

falconer

Finally riding a big boys bike
I need to rebuild this Higgins rear hub. Ive done New Departures and Bendix, and can do them almost with my eyes shut. Never gone into one of these. Does anyone have any advice or special tips? Thanks in advance

DSCF9611.JPG

They are relatively simple. If you can do a ND, this one won't give you any trouble. Be sure to sand/hone the inside of the shell before reassembly, it will really make a difference in braking performance.

I did mine a couple months ago and had no trouble at all. Not a lotta parts, and it'll only go back together one way. Take pics so you have assembly help. The sprocket lock ring( 10848) is left hand thread, iirc.

An important tool for this job is a smart phone. Take pictures as you proceed. I usually think that I can remember the arrangement of bits, but sometimes I find that I overestimated my memory.

Reactions: ian
OK, so i did finally tear into this hub. Rebuild went fine. The instructions that Rustjunkie posted were a help. It says dont use too much grease, this was pretty dry and no crud inside at all. They dont put much grease in at the factory! One of the bearings was missing a ball, and there was no sign of it in there! The one loose ball in the pic was just one i dug out of parts stash. Here is a pic of whats inside. Wanted to post more as i went along but my hands were too dirty. Easy job, spins nice!

DSCF9612.JPG

DSCF9613.JPG

Back