When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Higgins taking Flight...

-
Ever had one of those days when the part is smarter than you?

According to the hardware store the front axle from this wheelset is 5/16" (I can't remember whether he said 18 or 24 thread pitch). So all he had to give to me was a couple STOP NUTS.

Well, one is on all the way but the other side just wants to turn the entire axlewith it and I haven't got anything thin enough to place inside to halt it right, i.e a cone wrench.

NUTS! (literally)

Looks awesome otherwise.

Okay, if they had must given me regular nuts like the ones I stole from Beryl's unbuilt front hub I would have been done with the front wheel already. It's finally on, tight clearances and if it gets warped it might not turn but it spins freely now. My camera battery is not charged yet, no pics yet.

Speaking of nuts and bolts, I think the seat clamp is supposed to have a carriage bolt and apparently does not so I have to pull it and look. Just turns trying to tight it up.

Higgins (1).JPG

Higgins (2).JPG

Higgins (4).JPG

Higgins (5).JPG

I need to put the light tank back together right and with batteries.

Tried lifting the rear wheel up and in but it wasn't working for my quite right so I stopped there.

I had that type of tires on my Flying O Lancer when I first rebuilt it, they are fatter than a typical 26x2.125, they actually measure out almost 26x2.195 when aired up. I had to deflate the rear to get it in and out of the the frame.

Finally I had to go to a narrower tire, a true 2.125 to ride it as I had a mm of rim wobble and it kept hitting the frame and fenders. Even that on the middleweight the 2.125 are tight.

first two are the chen shing / beach bum style that are fat. the third photo is with a real 2.125 tire on it.

20160304_110942.jpg

20160304_111015.jpg

20190526_124328.jpg

If you wanna see TIRES, there is a dealership's worth in my shed right now. They would have less clearance then these.

I have vintage Goodyear nylons, Carlisle Lightning Darts, it goes on.

I also spent more on those tires than this pair. I decided a new pair for a birthday present to myself was the thing. The Lightning Darts are for the 8? Schwinn Cruiser.

By the by, if I have to let the tire down to put it on, don't I then have to get a car ride to get it inflated again at the tire shop? That's about the only way to accomplish that.

Kinda defeats a purpose.

Other than getting the lens and batteries back in the tank, this bike is together and running! I had a friend help me and they need to send the pictures they took as my camera batteries and probably the camera are almost toast. The seat is set just right and pedals smoothly, easy to get up to speed.

No name yet.

Back