When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High End Bikes (a small rant)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
60517568-1.jpg

I am with you Scott. Break out the big boy wallet or go pout in the corner.

This is a good thread.What I like about bike collecting is that anyone can enjoy the hobby because there are collectibles at every price range. One doesnt need a $15,000 bike to have a nice collection.Enjoy finding the treasure that is in your price range.Nobody on the Cabe probably has the biggest and best collection in the world. We all have a common interest though ,no matter what price range we fit into.

This is a good thread.What I like about bike collecting is that anyone can enjoy the hobby because there are collectibles at every price range. One doesnt need a $15,000 bike to have a nice collection.Enjoy finding the treasure that is in your price range.Nobody on the Cabe probably has the biggest and best collection in the world. We all have a common interest though ,no matter what price range we fit into.

agreed, I have had some of the most rare bikes and some of the shoddiest junk, and the best bike is the one you ride and enjoy.
I'd rather ride a Murray Monterey with friends than have all of the top shelf bikes in a climate controlled room.

I agree that it is great that there are nice bikes in almost every price range and that some people just need to reconcile their wallet size with their expectations. After all, nobody outside of the bike world would know the difference between a nice $500 ballooner and a $15000 ballooner. They might even think the cheaper one was nicer if it was restored vs. the expensive with original patina. I lucked out in finding my Iver and I paid what I was good with paying, not necessarily what I thought would be a deal or whether I could make money off of it. It just so happened that the value of these older bikes isn't so high and fell right about at what it was worth to me as something to ride and enjoy. I learned with cars long ago not to buy for investment first, but to make sure you really want it and that you can afford it (including maintenance requirements, storage, etc.) so that if you can make money down the line, great, but if not, you get to hang on to something you really like.

I think if I was looking to buy a rare highly valued bike at a bargain, a forum like this full of people buying & selling bikes & parts for a desired profit, would be the last place on earth I would look, as to worth they are children's toys, and any excessive price of a rare item doe's not reflect said item's value but reflects the value of the ego stroke, if you pay a dollar more for something because there is only one instead of 7 million, the extra dollar is to have something someone else doesn't have, hence ego stroke, one shouldn't get insulted and go off on a rant because someone else holds something at a lesser value, because to most of the world, they are just old children's toys and the only value they hold comes from your own desire to posses them, be happy the billionaires like Picasso & Warhol, Diamonds & jewels, or you would be outside looking in, don't loose your sense of humor they are only bicycles

agreed, I have had some of the most rare bikes and some of the shoddiest junk, and the best bike is the one you ride and enjoy.
I'd rather ride a Murray Monterey with friends than have all of the top shelf bikes in a climate controlled room.

OK,I draw the line Scott ! A Murray Monterey?LOL,Just kiddin',I know what ya mean.......Mercury Monterey...still laughing.

I posted this on my Roadmaster thread,and it pretty much sums it up for me.

being of modest means and missing out on the finer bikes in this hobby doesn't always mean you go without.my collection pales in comparison to most on here,but every bike has a story of integrity and honor attached to it.

Back