When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hipster Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Andrew Gorman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I found this stylish but not great quality bike for free on craigslist. I've always wanted a chrome bike! It's a Chappelli, a ChiCom bike designed in Australia. The company is either defunct or "on hiatus". From what little I can find on the web is is a "Three speed Chrome" from 2012 (?) or so. I was attracted by the slack geometry. Tig welded Cr-Mo frame, and basic components- Radius brakes, Lasco cranks but a Sturmey -Archer Taiwan hub and genuine leather grips. Tried to take it for a spin but the front tire does not want to seat around the valve. Presumably it's some kind of skinny tire problem. I'm looking forward to working on it. Sometimes idly flipping through craigslist can pay off! I'll be looking for a chain drive wallet and growing a man bun next. Too bad it wasn't a Van Moof...
poseur 3 speed.jpg

Last edited:
The seating problem WAS a skinny tire thing. The rubber pad that attaches the stem to the tube is just about as wide as the rim, and the Velox rim tape was wider. This kept the bead out of the seat. I sliced off a few mm of tape on either side and the tire seated with no problem. I can't see the bike making it very far with that kind of tire problem. Otherwise it needs grease, the brakes are scarily out of adjustment and the SA hub works fine (of course). The flipped bars look cool, but I think they would be scary in traffic. The chrome is not in great shape for a bike this new, but can be brought back. More news as it happens.

Reactions: s1b
I'm really starting to like this bike- zippy and comfortable. It is looking different- I flipped the bars, changed the ass hatchet for a Velo Orange saddle and tried out a chainguard. The original tiny Wellgo pedals were swapped for some East German block pedals. I am waiting for an expensive tail light and a cheap headlight. The Wald splash guard will have to do until I find some chrome lightweight fenders. The brake cables were set up so stylishly short that both lever adjusters were bent!
new bars.jpg

Back